Choosing strings

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Choosing strings

Postby Jeremy » Sun May 20, 2007 6:56 pm

When I scrape together enough money to purchase a decent beginner selmer style guitar, I'd like to have the best strings I can get on there. From what I've heard, argentines are the best out there. Should I go ball end or loop end? Light or medium? What would be the differences between each?
Thanks for any help.
Jeremy

Postby Teddy Dupont » Sun May 20, 2007 7:46 pm

I suggest you go for the ball end with loops and then you will have the best of both worlds.
Teddy Dupont

Postby Cattermole » Sun May 20, 2007 8:10 pm

Teddy Dupont wrote:I suggest you go for the ball end with loops and then you will have the best of both worlds.

Ignore that. Go for loop end with balls, 7mm Wegen pick, tell people you're a Parisian swinger and always wear a condom.
"...somebody correct me please if i have said bullshits"
Cattermole

Postby Jeremy » Sun May 20, 2007 8:39 pm

Any serious asnwers?
Jeremy

Postby daftgeordie » Sun May 20, 2007 11:22 pm

Hi. I'm a beginner to all this myself so I'm no expert, but when I bought my guitar from the luthier David Hodson(unfortunately no longer with us) he insisted I only use 'Gallistrings GSL10's'. They have a silk core with steel windings and were the only ones he recommended. You can get them from www.stringbusters.com and are around £5 a set, including postage. I hope this helps.
daftgeordie

Postby BluesBopHarry » Mon May 21, 2007 12:34 am

It really depends on the scale and setup of your guitar.
Most people with shorter scale guitars like 11's, whereas long scale guitar owners mostly use 10's.
Usually with higher action you use lighter strings.
You'll just have to experiment i guess.
Personally I like high action (4+mm.), Argies 10's and I replace the High E and B with 11 and 15 as soon as they break.
Ball ends or loops doesn't really matter to me.
BluesBopHarry

Postby Shawn » Mon May 21, 2007 3:34 am

I couldn't say what works best, but I use Argentine .11 Ball ends on all of my Selmer guitars; both long and short scale. I also use a 5mm Wegen Fatone, and a 7mm Wegen as well...the bigger the better in my opinion. Also, like BluesBopHarry I like high action as the tonal benefits are worth it alone. I am quite partial to the long scale Oval Hole Selmers and use those most of the time, but I have a short scale D-Hole I keep around for rhythm playing.

To be honest, use whatever sounds best to your ears and try different things. What may sound like heavenly strings and a good setup to me, may sound like an 82 year old man with Emphysema to you.
Shawn

Postby Stackabones » Mon May 21, 2007 4:35 pm

I've got a Gitane D-500 (short scale, D-hole).

Argentine 11 loop ends.

Wegen gypsy pick, 3.5mm.

Action is higher than other non-GJ acoustics.
Stackabones

Postby Heretic » Mon May 21, 2007 6:24 pm

The home page of this site has a category titled, "playing". There's useful information there on this subject. Most players use Argentine strings. It's just a matter of style whether you use loop or ball ends. The Selmer style guitars accommodate both kinds.
A thick stiff pick is generally used, many use a Wegen pick. Most use the 3.5 mm thickness.
The new D'Addario strings have received some good reviews and may be worth trying as well. Most players use the 0.10 gauge. I use 0.11's and a Wegen 5 mm pick because they work well for me. I primarily use Argentine strings, but I change to the Newtone brand when I feel like hearing something different, for a change.
The Gitane brand of guitars are affordable, and offer both a wide range of instruments, and an excellent value.
Heretic

Postby just the bass player » Wed May 30, 2007 4:21 pm

I've tried the D'Addario 0.10's set of Gypsy Jazz strings on my John Jorgenson Gitane, and I found them to be excellent- the best. I didn't know that my guitar could sound that good! They are loud, dry sounding and very even. They are certainly worth trying.
just the bass player

Postby Gadjo » Wed May 30, 2007 10:32 pm

I've bought a box of D'Addario gypsy 11's (cheap from the US) and at this rate they will see out my career. I've had a set on for over a week now and gigged every night, playing hard. There are not even ridges in the G string (no jokes please). I don't believe it myself really but they are that good.
Maart has not had to change his 10's since he put them on months ago he tells me (it was he who turned me on to them in the first place).
Our prayers have been answered.
Gadjo

Postby Jono » Thu May 31, 2007 1:05 pm

I've had a set of D'Addario 11s on for a few weeks now and although they seem to be lasting ok, I'm not that keen on the actual sound.

Newtones seem to last quite a while for me and I prefer the sound of them. I still think the Argies sound best but they don't last at all for me - whether it's due to my fingers or my guitar I don't know.

I've got another set of D'Addarios which I'll still try at some point, but given their record for consistency I'd be surprised if it was just a poor set.
They may be drinkers, Robin, but they're still human beings.
Jono

Postby Stackabones » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:01 am

I really like the Argies (using 11s), but the G-strings wear out very quickly. I go through two or three Gs for every other string. Anybody else have this experience?
Stackabones

Postby Cattermole » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:35 pm

Stackabones wrote:I really like the Argies (using 11s), but the G-strings wear out very quickly. I go through two or three Gs for every other string. Anybody else have this experience?

Yes.
"...somebody correct me please if i have said bullshits"
Cattermole

Return to Guitars picks and strings etc..