Stagg JZ120

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Stagg JZ120

Postby GitanePlayer » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:48 am

Just seen this ultra cheap guitar! Anyone tried it out?

http://www.guitar24.de/de/pro.php?id=14283

Right, I know it's gonna be fairly crap but I'm looking for a travel guitar as I do not want to risk taking my good one on a long-haul flight.
GitanePlayer

Postby phil_g » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:00 pm

phil_g

Postby Gadjo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:56 pm

These were launched at the London Guitar show this weekend. They are bloody great!!
They are built as cleanly as the regular Gitanes but have a thin matte finish that really lets the tone out. The D hole was the loudest guitar on th stand.
More good news. my one-off Maple model Gitane is becoming a production line guitar (without my name) as it appears to be well liked and they also want to borrow my original Selmer Concert nylon string so they can produce a nylon strung Maccaferri copy.

More as it happens
Gadjo

Postby GitanePlayer » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:15 pm

Any pictures of the maple guitar? I used to have the DG250-M but found it had too harsh a sound - however I tried another one and it sounded better than mine - I think mine was a factory 'second' as I bought it from ebay on the cheap!
GitanePlayer

Postby Gadjo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:25 pm

This is my guitar. All propotions are as the Jorgenson. I guess the price will be also.
I have a sound clip up posted in this forum somewhere with me playing it.
Attachments
Gitane 006.jpg
Gadjo

Postby Gadjo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:27 pm

I forgot to say it has a slotted headstock...
Attachments
Gitane 005.jpg
Gadjo

Postby Gadjo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:29 pm

Back view!!
Attachments
Gitane 004.jpg
Gadjo

Postby GitanePlayer » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:33 pm

Sweet!

The Manouche boys have a new guitar - I've just finished making changes to their website so the new guitar pics are up! Hand-made oval hole - natural french polish finish... haven't tried it yet...

Mike.
GitanePlayer

Postby TenorClef » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:44 pm

Interested to hear that Saga are looking at making a Maccaferri classical guitar. Any idea when that will be on the production line?
TenorClef

Postby Gadjo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:48 pm

It's a long term thing I guess as they haven't looked at mine yet. I notice Manouche has a concert version available now for what looks like an OK price. Anyone played it? Does it have a sound box? Is anybody interested in it or is it like the original doomed to have only 20 made?
It looks like they have gone for a straight saddle (as opposed to the original two piece). This will make fitting an under saddle easier.
Gadjo

Postby TenorClef » Tue May 01, 2007 11:33 pm

So judging by your comments the Maccaferri classical does'nt live up to the greater qualities of say a Hauser or Ramirez?
TenorClef

Postby Gadjo » Wed May 02, 2007 6:14 am

Sometimes change can happen too soon - particularly in a classical or traditional environment. Even the concept of a cutaway on a concert guitar has yet to be adopted by modern classical players. I note that some mavericks are adopting the designs of Humphrey for example but even these look 'normal' from the front.

My guitar was recently played by a decent classical player who to my ears made it sound wonderful. He saw it as a novelty. God knows what they thought 75 years ago?
Gadjo

Postby Riversax » Wed May 02, 2007 8:47 am

GitanePlayer wrote:Sweet!

The Manouche boys have a new guitar - I've just finished making changes to their website so the new guitar pics are up! Hand-made oval hole - natural french polish finish... haven't tried it yet...

Mike.

I would be interested in hearing what you think of it, if you do get to play it. It does look very nice but seems to be as expensive (or more so) than some UK luthier built guitars.

Regards

Roger
Riversax

Postby GitanePlayer » Wed May 09, 2007 12:22 am

I am now the proud owner of a Stagg JZ120 !! £139 from Germany (Ebay)...

Now don't get me wrong - I do have a good guitar but I aint taking it on a long-haul to Australia.... but this CHEAP guitar is surprisingly good... I was expecting a complete dog but it's a very cleanly made guitar!!

The finish is very good and more importantly the braces are nice and thin. The body is a lot shallower than my Manouche which I guess has a standard depth. The bridge is a complete one piece that includes the moustache pieces - but it is hollowed out underneath. The tuners are shit but seem to do the job.

It has a solid cedar top, laminate rosewood back and sides,mahogany neck, and rosewood veneer on the headstock.

Ok, the action is ridiculously low - like that of a heavy metal axe - so at the moment it sounds thin and like a banjo BUT there is plenty of volume and sustain... so with a new bridge and a proper action it can only sound fuller.

The neck isn't too bulky but the fretboard is very flat - doesn't seem to have any radius - but it feels really ok! The rosewood fretboard could do with a little bit of finishing - feels a little rough as if the grain is raised. Had to file a few rough fret edges.

Overall it's bloody cheap as chips but looks good and when I'm busking in Perth I'm sure it will do the job... here's some pics..
Attachments
inside.jpg
back.jpg
body1.jpg
front.jpg
GitanePlayer

Postby Munta909 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:31 pm

i'm glad to see that people are liking the jz120, as i've got one on order, should be in transit as we speak

popped into a local guitar shop and was shown this model, loved it in the shop but they had it marked up for £399! i considered it, as i enjoyed playing the guitar, but that was too expensive for me - i checked online and found it for £169 - that shop is blatantly taking the peas!

way hey!
Munta909

Next

Return to Guitars picks and strings etc..