Gitane DG-250 (maple)

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Gitane DG-250 (maple)

Postby Jeremy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:37 am

I've been looking at this: http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-GITANE-DG-250M-Jazz-Maccaferri-Selmer-Style-Guitar_W0QQitemZ140107535904QQihZ004QQcategoryZ2385QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

It seems to be a nice guitar at a decent cost. I was wondering though, will the maple sides and back make it sound far too trebley to get an accurate gypsy jazz tone? Do you believe this is a good guitar for someone new to gypsy jazz?
Jeremy

Postby justjack » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:14 am

They aren't bad guitars at all, though I prefer the non-maple models for the reason you mention; the others seem to have a wider range to my ears. I'm also looking to sell a guitar of mine if you're interested (see below); it would save you a bit. Feel free to send me a message if you'd like any information about it or better pictures, and good luck with the hunt!

best,
Jack.
Attachments
Ace Guitar 002.jpg
justjack
Mad For It

Re: Gitane DG-250 (maple)

Postby TenorClef » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:31 pm

Jeremy wrote:I was wondering though, will the maple sides and back make it sound far too trebley to get an accurate gypsy jazz tone? Do you believe this is a good guitar for someone new to gypsy jazz?

Far to treblely? Try playing in a restaurant with 50 people, them complain about treblely....i don't think so. Sometimes maple has its advantages. Tonight i did a gig with a band with a vocalist and we had only one mic so i had to share my mic with the female vocalist which meant at times i was playing purely acoustic with my Gitane DG250M over drums,piano, double bass and tenor sax.

Thank God for a cutting guitar, thats all i can say. The maple/spruce combo brightness really helps cut through the mix for comping. Ok soling is'nt going to happen but i have a Stimer 48 on order. Having said that my solos where fine when i was mic'ed.
TenorClef

Return to Guitars picks and strings etc..