Stimer Pickup

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Stimer Pickup

Postby TenorClef » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:52 pm

Hi all, i've posted this over at Djangobooks.com but it figures that some one who lives over this side of the pond (Europe) would know where to purchase a Stimer 48 for my Gitane 250M.

I've been using a AKG1000S Condenser Mic but in really larger gigs with 50+ people it gets really tough to take a solo and be audible. Its been suggested that the Stimer provides a good authentic GJ tone and with good volume to serve my needs.

Tried the Schertler Dyn-G and gave up on it in the end, just did'nt work with my AER.

Any links to dealers of Stimers appreciated.

TC
Attachments
stimertitre.jpg
TenorClef

Postby Gadjo » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:18 pm

I'll sell you a Miller 110 (new in wooden box) if you're interested - £100 plus p&p.

http://www.miller-age.ch/html/pickup.html
Gadjo

Postby Thrip » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:56 pm

I could be interested if TenorClef isn't
Thrip

Postby TenorClef » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:31 pm

Thanks for the offer but i prefer the Stimer 48 design with the volume pot attached to the actual pickup.
TenorClef

Postby maca » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:36 pm

Andy, how much is the Miller new and do you have a sound clip you could post? I lokked on the site but couldn't find a price.

Thanks
maca

Postby BluesBopHarry » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:55 am

This store is very close to Paris maybe it could work for you:
http://www.guitare-village.com/microstimer.php
BluesBopHarry

Postby kimmo » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:41 am

maca wrote:Andy, how much is the Miller new and do you have a sound clip you could post? I lokked on the site but couldn't find a price.

Thanks

Maca, here's the pricelist:
http://www.miller-age.ch/pdf/prices_01_07.pdf

Andy (or anybody experienced), how do Millers sound and how "usable" are they: ease of install/remove, durability, hiss&hum, etc.

I'm considering the one without vol knob because of simpler construction (less problems) and I'd rather use a vol pedal anyway when amplified.

kimmo
kimmo

Postby maca » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:50 am

Thanks Kimmo & BBH. I am very interested to hear how they sound. :roll:
maca

Postby Gadjo » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:35 am

If it helps I have collected my thoughts on the whole Stimer issue.

I have two units, a Stimer 51 that Maurice Dupont gave me with my VRB and a Miller (without the volume control) that I bought as a spare. I use allsorts of amps including an AER, Evans, Matchless and even a Boss microcube into the p.a. I am generally happy with the sound and use it primarily as it allows me to use my Dupont or new Gitane for all my jazz work meaning I don?t have the problem of picking up a high action, big necked guitar after using a skinny Gibson neck on a regular gig. I don?t know about you but I prefer to use one guitar and get comfortable with it. This week the Gitane has done gypsy gigs, mainstream jazz gigs and will be in use at the London Guitar Show where I will be playing on the Saga/Gitane/Gremlin stand.

I must say I prefer the sound of the Stimer as it has a hotter output and drives the amp giving that classic Django hot sound. The Miller is much better made and sounds great but has a slightly lesser output. Don?t be put off ? there is not much between them. I guess the main reason I use the Stimer is the volume control.

Fixing on both is best done with Blu-tack or similar. The Miller is designed this way and the reason I got the Stimer FOC was the clip had broken off. Why I like the Blu-tack solution is that I can put more under the bass end to allow for compensation against the copper wound strings. It also helps with feedback and rattles. The other main reason is that in 10 seconds it is acoustic again. Any pickup of this mass kills the top and reduces the acoustic volume of the guitar by some way.

To deal with the string balance problem I avoid silk and steel Galis and use their regular gypsy strings. These are the same as Argentines and sound great acoustically but the copper means a dip in the bass strings. In addition to another lump of putty I find amps like the AER and Evans have a tendency to naturally compress the sound when pushed giving the sound a more even balance. Valve amps like the Matchless sound the best but are a killer to hump around. Nickel strings like the Newtones are the best electric solution but I prefer to retain my guitars as acoustic instruments and prefer the copper windings.

No magnetic pickup on its own will sound like an acoustic guitar. You have to get on with the sound it produces and rely on the type of guitar, your technique, heavy pick and what notes you play to get the gypsy vibe.

If anyone is thinking about buying one check first you have 10mm clear between the top and strings around the soundhole area. Selmers are OK as are ?correct? copies that have a thick fingerboard. This includes my Dupont and signature Gitane that is based on a JJ model (which are also OK by the way). The regular Gitanes, most Aylwards and LeVois I have seen struggle with this dimension however.

Hope this helps.
Gadjo

Postby TenorClef » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:44 pm

Well i've just ordered a Stimer 48 for my Gitane 250M from www.gypsyguitars.com , i'm hoping the clearance issue is not going to be a problem but i'll let you all know when it arrives in a few weeks time.
TenorClef

Postby maca » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:09 pm

Thanks for the info Andy.
maca

Postby nwilkins » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:23 pm

I have played a number of Aylwards and all have had plenty of clearance for a Stimer.
nwilkins

Postby BluesBopHarry » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:32 pm

Hope you enjoy your new pickup.
About the clearance issue...
The Stimer is about 6-7 mm thick, as long as it is not taller than the frets it should be okay.
I use one with my Gitane DG-250 and works fine though the high C and C# on the first string can't be played...
One way to deal with this is to flip the pickup so the volume is on the bass side, which may also be good for the control to not get in the way of your picking hand. Try it.
Look as this picture.
Attachments
Angelo.jpg
BluesBopHarry

Postby TenorClef » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:59 pm

Thanks for that idea, i'll experiment with it some when it arrives. I wonder how it will sound through my AER as from what others have said the Stimer colours nicely through a standard guitar amp. The AER is very clean sounding so maybe it'll have a woody texture to the sound. Its good however to hear from a fellow Gitane owner that the pickup works fine with the Gitane.

I personally think the Gitanes represent real value for money, are pretty faithful to the original Selmer concept without the big price issue. I've given this a lot of thought and it seems to me that their is'nt really a significant step up from the Gitane without serious money. Sorry if that offends the Manouche/Del Arte owners and the like. They'll all factory made at the end of the day. The hand crafted ones you would figure would be better. Although my only point of reference here is that i own a hand crafted classical guitar and it sounds much better than the 1K factory built one i used to own.

I guess unless your out gigging 5 times a week its hard to justify spending the big bucks.
TenorClef

Return to Guitars picks and strings etc..