This a good guitar for a beginner gypsy?

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

This a good guitar for a beginner gypsy?

Postby Jeremy » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:25 pm

I'm an experienced Rock and Classical guitarist, looking to expand to another genre, and I've been interested in Gypsy Jazz for a while. I found this guitar on sale:
Selmer style "petite bouche" (oval hole) guitar handmade by Ottawa luthier Nathan Curry. Beautiful rosewood back and sides; solid spruce top; ebony fingerboard. Also has a high quality internal pickup. Bright and Loud! Guitar was handmade for me in 1998, at a cost of $1600. It now has some light wear, and a crack on the top that has been repaired. With a soft case. Great Guitar.
ImageImage

He's selling it for $695 (canadian) by the way.
Nathan Curry seems like a pretty popular luthier around southern ontario, from what I've heard. My only concern is the crack in the top, but it seems like a good opportunity to get a good guitar for a cheap price, as long as the crack won't have any large effect on the tone.
Jeremy

Postby nwilkins » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:27 pm

I have never heard of Nathan Curry in connection with Selmer style guitars (and I have heard of literally hundreds of luthiers), so that might not be a great sign. A lot of the time people who primarily build other types of guitars will construct a Selmer style that looks the part but lacks the important and subtle features that give these guitars their sound.

I'm not saying that is definitely the case here, but you might want to try a Gitane (similar price range) just as a point of comparison, because the Gitanes actually sound pretty good.
nwilkins

Return to Guitars picks and strings etc..