Thomastik 'S' strings

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Thomastik 'S' strings

Postby wirralgitane » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:53 pm

Has anyone tried these? I've had some Thomastik Jazz flat wounds on my archtop and lasted months but @£17.95 they are not cheap. There's many types also, Be-bop, tape wraped, Jazz wounds etc i wonder what these would sound like.

So, has anyone tried these on a GJ style guitar? Also if anyone knows what the difference between 'Tinplated' and 'steel plated' are?
Besides the obvious i would like to know, any info would be great.
Lastly does anyone know where i can buy them online or off?

cheers,
wirralgitane

Re: Thomastik 'S' strings

Postby pmh425 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:37 pm

wirralgitane wrote:Has anyone tried these? I've had some Thomastik Jazz flat wounds on my archtop and lasted months but @£17.95 they are not cheap. There's many types also, Be-bop, tape wraped, Jazz wounds etc i wonder what these would sound like.

So, has anyone tried these on a GJ style guitar? Also if anyone knows what the difference between 'Tinplated' and 'steel plated' are?
Besides the obvious i would like to know, any info would be great.
Lastly does anyone know where i can buy them online or off?

cheers,

I just received a set. I'm not sure if I am going to try them in my Dell'Arte or my Classical yet. I got them from Elderly Instruments http://www.elderly.com

-Peter
pmh425

Postby pmh425 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:42 pm

By the way, aside from the plain e, the rest of the strings are flat wound including the 'b'. They also make a set that are made up of all flat wound strings.

-Peter
pmh425

Postby wirralgitane » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:47 pm

Great, cheers!
let us know if you decide to use them on your dell'arte, i'm intrigued.

Looking through various pictures some strings Django used seem to be rather thin, sometimes flat aswel. They seem skinny especially the one where its a close up of his hand, i've read he used very light strings so it adds to my belief thats all. Even if its just the G, B and D strings.
wirralgitane

Postby pmh425 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:57 pm

I decided to try them on my Classical and they sound wonderful. The bottom E is a little weak but what a great string for someone who comes from a Steel String background.
pmh425

Return to Guitars picks and strings etc..