schertler dyn system

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

schertler dyn system

Postby neill » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:38 pm

anyone out there using a schertler dyn g stick on pick up? i'd love to hear some opinions on it? i'm using mine with my dupont md60 and i get a really honky horrible tone full of microphonic harmonics and very muddy.. it cost a lot of money and i'd really like to get a good sound out of it? it seems to work ok on a normal acoustic guitar...
neill

Postby Gadjo » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:23 am

I use one and it sounds great. Assuming you know how to stick it on (i.e.not too much putty) and have experimented with the placement the only thing you can be doing wrong is sticking it in the wrong amp. It is basically a dynamic microphone so sounds good in any suitable balanced input. I use mine into a p.a. for larger gigs or straight into an AER or Headway acoustic amp for club dates. I don't have to overly eq it either.

If you need further comfort (at the risk of sounding like an advert) get this month's Guitarist mag and stick the CD in your computer. John Jorgenson, John Wheatcroft and myself recorded the live Italian DVD using only Dyn-Gs.

BTW my guitar on that show was a Dupont also.

I know some guys have given up on them (Zoot) but I like them.
Gadjo

Postby Thrip » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:21 am

I'm very happy with mine.
Thrip

Postby Caballero » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:19 pm

Gadjo wrote:

I know some guys have given up on them (Zoot) but I like them.

The only reason Zoot gave up was because he purchased the really POWERFUL one. It heard everything, even his pubes greying and falling out, crashing like redwoods about his boxers. He felt he could do well without that whilst cracking one off over Minor Swing.
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby Teddy Dupont » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:23 pm

Caballero wrote:The only reason Zoot gave up was because he purchased the really POWERFUL one. It heard everything, even his pubes greying and falling out, crashing like redwoods about his boxers. He felt he could do well without that whilst cracking one off over Minor Swing.

Don't be so silly boy! Go and stand in the corner AND leave your willy alone for a moment.
Teddy Dupont

Postby Zoot » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:53 am

I had no end of trouble with mine and I spent several days working on it, different amps, pre-amps, I even stuck it straight onto a desk as this was supposed to be the preferred method of use.

Just like yourself my Wasburn acoustic worked a treat, it hardly needed any setting up at all and worked with a variety of amps, pre-amps and the desk.

It went the way of ebay in the end.

From what I can gather you have to have a fairly - how can I put this without upsetting my mates - I know, dull guitar!

What I really mean is a guitar that contains it's sound.
Wolf notes howl through a Schertler.

My Aylward is as lively as the day I got it and resounds with boucoup harmonics, it appears that if you have a lively guitar you are on a hiding to nothing trying to get it to work.
I've heard that the lesser Schertler works better but I just can't be arsed with bits of green putty any more.

I'll duck now and wait for the flack :mrgreen:
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Zoot
Site Admin

Postby Gadjo » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:42 pm

I will not even rise to the bait 8)

I have used it on my Dupont VR (the most expensive 'copy'), my Selmer (obviously a really dull guitar) and the cheapest of Gitanes. Works for me in all situations - allbeit used only when I am employed as a rhythm player.
Perhaps it is variance of ears, personnal needs and expectations - not the guitar.

The biggest problem for me is on my own gigs where I need to kick in a lead level when soloing. As soon as you introduce a volume control (un-balanced) or foot control in the amp's effect loop the sound goes to poo. For this reason I use a magnetic pickup and save the acoustics for jamming, the studio or plain rhythm gigs.
Gadjo

Postby neill » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:28 pm

thanks zoot and gadjo for the informative answers, i really have tried a lot of different set ups for it, funnily enough the sound was worse when i went straight into a desk.. like i said honky and full of harmonic overtones especially in the lower registers.. i'm now considering selling mine.. what, in your opinion, might be another decent pickup i could use? also i'm not sure what an aylward is? :?
neill

Postby neill » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:31 pm

oh yeah i'm mostly playing lead...
neill

Postby Caballero » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:14 pm

neill wrote: also i'm not sure what an aylward is? :?

It's a rare Scottish instrument, rarely seen. Appears, disappears...I heard a story once about a guy who only saw his every 4 years. Off roaming the moors, I bet.
Beer made me post this. :cry:
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby TenorClef » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:49 pm

I found that i had a few problems with my Dyn-G too initially however taking on board advice from some of the guys from the djangobooks forum i've been able to get an acceptable sound and volume output for either lead playing or just comping. Acoustic instruments are a bit more problematic when amplifying, the amp needs to be pointing away from your guitar and also a little infront of your guitar, like this works for me - \ / I can get the volume up to 50% without feeback issues although at first i struggled to reach 25% so you have to experiment with positioning, also i virtually flat line my treble control as my guitar is very bright (Gitane DG250M).
TenorClef

Postby neill » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:25 am

Hi, it's not feedback which i have a problem with, it's a sort of buzz and microphonic resonation thing going on.. I also had long talks with the people at djangobooks as well and they came to the conclusion it must be buzzing on my guitar.. however, although there are a few minute buzzes on my dupont, the schertler picks up something else especially on resonant notes (eg when i try playing the semitonal b bit at the beginning of troublant bolero.. ) also when ever i hit a low note fairly hard.. it seems to be alright in the higher register... at the moment i've sort of given up on because it p/'.'sses me off every time i plug it in :cry: I was planning to have someone set up my dupont and then try it again (ie fret dress etc).. I recorded some stuff with an sm58 and my dupont sounded fine.. does anyone know what those tiny condenser mics they have on bireli's live jazz a vienne dvd are? or how much they are??
neill

Postby Zoot » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:11 pm

Do not be fooled, Bireli's mics are Shure drum mics and were there for the monitor system only.
It is the Numan condenser mics that give that great sound.

Here is a post regarding Schertlers, Shure and an Audio Technica PRO 70
>> Here <<

Mat Guez from Ultraswing has recently got a Audio Technica PRO 70 and he says it's awesome when used at home (he has not gigged it yet but foresees no problems as he cranked it up without feedback into AER Compact 60).

The tone is remarkably different from the Bigtone already fitted and he anticipates the bigtone going into the left input with the Audio Technica PRO 70 going into the XLR input and mixing between the two.

The cons are:
It requires a pre-amp (supplied with mic) that has a belt fixing so you are tied to your guitar and amp. So remember to detach yourself before going for a piss or you'll drag your guitar and amp over.

I'm just at that point now where about to get one soon, I'm so pissed off with the Bigtone Quack sound.

This place has them at a good price but have non in stock at the moment though expect them any day
http://www.dvguitars.com/invt/11589/
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Zoot
Site Admin

Postby neill » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:56 pm

hi zoot, thanks for that... would this little thingy be good for plugging into a pa system? i only do small to medium pub/club gigs at the moment but my schertler is just awful.. i'm considering ebaying it.. i just want something to make a nice sound when i play.. don't need it too loud or anything...
neill

Postby Zoot » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:20 pm

It sounds ideal then
Zoot
Site Admin

Next

Return to Guitars picks and strings etc..