Aylward versus Gallato versus Shelley Park

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Aylward versus Gallato versus Shelley Park

Postby Swing This! » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:17 am

If you had the choice which of these guitars would you go for and why?

Cheers-

Phil
Swing This!

Postby frater » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:47 pm

Park and Aylward are luthers, Gallato is not. Guitars made for Gallato by G. Mateos were really hard to beat in terms of "gypsy sound", though.

f

P.S.
The correct question would actually have been: if you had the money which of these guitars would you go for and why? My answer would had probably been: Park. :D
"Et pas besoin d'avoir de fines moustaches pour jouer cette musique!" B. Lagréne
frater

Postby Swing This! » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:11 pm

frater wrote:... Gallato by G. Mateos were really hard to beat in terms of "gypsy sound", though....My answer would had probably been: Park. :D

Why the Park if the 'Gallato's hard to beat for gypsy sound'? After all, isn't the sound the main reason we play these guitars?

cheers

Phil
Swing This!

Postby Lmntry » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:51 pm

If I had a choice and money was not the consideration I would have to chose the Park also.

When we buy these guitars ...the sound , even though critical , is not the only critera for the selection of the guitar.Otherwise you would see a lot more Pattonote's in the new players hands instead of Saga's.

Things Like...fit , finish , neck , materials used , balance , warranty , workmanship , tuners , playability etc. etc.

In my personal experience , Park excels at ALL these.....I don't have enough hands on experience with Aylward...but the reputation is definitely good , and Gallato , though it does sound good , comes in last on the other aspects of making a buying decision.(for me)
(I personally own a Dell Arte Hommage which I would also give top marks in ALL the categories.)

When you buy a Gypsy guitar you are also paying for the creation of the luthier...like a Jaques Favino or a Shelly Park etc.
I know that presevation of investment is also a consideration , so a good luthier or manufacturer will help insure your retention of capital.

I guess everyone has their own punchlist of must haves on a Gypsy jazz guitar......this is just mine.

David
Lmntry

Postby frater » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:47 pm

Ditto, David: you read my thoughts.

Incidentally, I just had a little chat with my friend Bob Brozman about Selmac luthers. In his opinion (and I suspect Bob can hardly be wrong talking guitars! ), right know Michael Dunn is the way to go.

Should you decide to go Gallato, remember that the budget Angelo Debarre you can find on the Net for 1300 euro or less IS NOT the same Debarre costing 2400 euro they used to make. I tried it: it felt like a square neck dobro: too bad I hadn't my steel bar with me!

F
"Et pas besoin d'avoir de fines moustaches pour jouer cette musique!" B. Lagréne
frater

Postby nwilkins » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:07 pm

it depends what you want

this is a generalization, but if you are looking for the more traditional sound then go with a European luthier. If you are looking for a sound that will appeal more immediately to N American players used to the sound of flat-tops then go with a N American luthier. There are of course exceptions to this rule, but it is not surprising that most N American players will recommend guitars that sound more like gypsy versions of the guitars they grew up playing.
nwilkins

Postby frater » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:47 pm

Or perhaps Bob likes Dunn because of the resonator! :D
frater

Re: Aylward versus Gallato versus Shelley Park

Postby viehmeyerjazz » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:51 pm

gallatos from wat i understand used to be very good when geronimo mateos was building(btw he still builds guitars under his own name)but now i believe they are manufactuared.parrk guitars look very nice ,shelley obviously puts aq lot of time and effort into making them not only instruments but workd of art.not so suprising since she learned from michael dunn who is a big fan of art guitars..you can see her guitars played by troy chapman in a patrus 53 video at the djangofest north west.they are personally not my favorite but are very beutiful.i found a video of tim robbinson playing an aylward but the video quality wasnt the best so it was hard to make a judment call.thing you have to remember is their are about 40-45 different selmer and maccafferi luthiers to choose from not even including the asain mass production models so theirs really like 50-60 all together(that i know of) check em out.watch videos,ask around,listen to recordings decipher wat kind of sound you want.more of a gypsy dry stingy tone?more of a warm tone?flat?chinky? whether you want to sound like django or idk maybe bireli stochelo or paulus. whether your playing jazz,gypsyjazzmanouche,swing ,big band,a combponatioin of these.there arre really so many optioons it make it harder to choose but then again it allows such great diversity and musicmanship.theres some more builders.

selmer,dupont,ajl,eimers,boons­tra,jwc,mjs,ald,barault,van sprosman,busato,favino,dunn,pa­rk,killy nonis,dell arte,hahl,anastasio,castelluci­a,di mauro,mazuad,lebreton,holo,son­ora,la fee,mystery,bucolo,zwinakis,la­ndry,freschi,alward,i know theres a builder in new york that samson and dorado used when they played at the birdland.manouche guitars ltd(broke up the lutes who made em now make guitars separatly)geronimpo mateos,michael collins,david enessa,couesnon,patenotte,and then there is also burrows who make selmer influenced guitars but not quite selmer by most peoples standards..all great luthiers check em out.

asain:
altimara,manouch latcho drom,saga cigano,saga gitane,aria,paris swing,out of all these i recommend latcho drom nuages model.very loud very crisp.great for rythm and lead.
viehmeyerjazz

Return to Guitars picks and strings etc..