Ferry Recommendations anyone?

International Gypsy Jazz performances or meetings

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Ferry Recommendations anyone?

Postby deuxdoigtsgauches » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:38 am

Hi Guys I'm planning to drive across to Samois this year and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a cheap ferry company. Also I live in Bristol and I was wondering if it might be worthwhile getting a ferry from somewhere like Portsmouth or Southampton to somewhere further north, or would I just end up making up the distance to Dover I'd saved on the other side of the channel. Please help! I only passed my driving test last year and I haven't driven abroad before, but please don't go doing any serious research, I'm more after if someone got a decent deal last year or has already booked for this year.

All the best
deuxdoigtsgauches

Postby Phydeaux3 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:29 am

Try Ferrysavers. Or try and cadge a lift from someone as it would be cheaper to spread the cost.
Alors! Un, deux...
Phydeaux3

Postby Zoot » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:08 pm

Norfolk Line seem to be pretty cheap most years and we've used them for the last 2 years.
They roll off at Dunkerque but it's only 15 miles extra down the road from Calais. I've found them pretty flexible and do not charge if you want to change your booking in some way.
http://www.norfolkline.com/ferry/

Or use Speed Ferries who have a good website for booking online and not too pricey either. They are small so not as flexible and charge for booking changes.
http://www.speedferries.com/

See you there
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Zoot
Site Admin

Postby justjack » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:57 am

Zoot, what are you doing here??? Long time, no see...did you get sacked?
justjack
Mad For It

Postby deuxdoigtsgauches » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:41 pm

Ah thanks for that you're an absolute star. Any idea who's playing this year?
deuxdoigtsgauches

Postby Caballero » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:15 pm

Maybe this year, something to REALLY bring 'em in.
Attachments
Showaddwaddy.jpg
Showaddwaddy.jpg (5.53 KiB) Viewed 6826 times
Last edited by Caballero on Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby Caballero » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:36 pm

I hope they have more Balkan groovy stuff like last year, where everyone lost their inhibitions and danced like their parents.
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby Fordy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:00 pm

Dont know about ferries from over your side of the isle....but I can recomend both speed ferries and norfolk line, if you end up having to come to dover...
I do like speed ferries, fast, affordable, and they are sticking one up at p&o., but not nice if its stormy! sick bags at the ready!
Norfolk line is pretty good though, and cheap.
If you have never driven in France, then you are in for a serious treat, apart from the other side of the road thing, which you will get used to it very quickly...the french drivers dont give way, but they know where you are! just remember to look the other way at roundabouts! Its a breeze and much more pleasurable over there, easy peasy lemon squeezy, just remember to have payment for tolls, credit cards are useful. And one more thing, dont fill up on main routes, find out of the way towns/villages, etc, fuel is generally much cheaper of the beaten track. Good luck and enjoy it!
I will learn to play this thing!
Fordy

Re: Ferry Recommendations anyone?

Postby deuxdoigtsgauches » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:49 pm

Just got a £20 return ferry from Norfolkline, cheers again for the heads up zoot
deuxdoigtsgauches

Return to International Events