Some Help Please

Ask our resident Doctor your troubling questions

Moderator: Teddy Dupont

Some Help Please

Postby Teddy Dupont » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:43 pm

I have been listening to Django Reinhardt for over 50 years and trying to play the guitar intermittently during that period. I suddenly realise that I have had totally the wrong attitude to playing all this time in that I was only interested in enjoying rather than punishing myself. I can now see this was a quite ludicrous approach and I need to completely reappraise my whole attitude in order to make progress.

So could you experts please give me some advice on the following?:-

1) An entry level guitar. Since I am retired, I can only afford a maximum of £200 which is about $40 at the current exchange rate.
2) The type of plectrum I should be using - ball end or loop.
3) The type of strings I should be using. I understand Django used only Ernie Ball loop ends fitted with balls.
4) Do you fit ball and loop end strings in the same way?
5) When changing strings, should I remove them all and leave the guitar overnight in a hot room before putting the new ones on?
6) Should I use only down strokes when playing "La Pompe"?
7) Should I use only down strokes when it is only possible to play up strokes?
8 ) Could anyone recommend a CD with all Django Reinhardt's recordings on for less than £2?
9) Does Cabo wear his wife's knickers?
10) Is it necessary to hold the guitar differently when playing gypsy jazz?
11) Is "Minor Swing" actually based on the traditional gypsy tune "Ksaianglic Chkeckscrecher"?
12) Was Joseph Reinhardt really a lesbian?
13) Should I lacquer my testicles in order to get that authentic gypsy jazz sound?
14) Should I replace the bridge after each gig?
15) Is a plastic Maccaferri a guitar or a contraceptive device?
16) Has anyone got the chords for "Dancing Queen".
17) Is there any hope for the world?

Thank you all for your help. This is such a wonderful site with such wonderful contributers.
Teddy Dupont

Postby Gadjo » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:46 pm

OK Teddy, I share your frustrations. I take comfort from the fact that this current obsession with all things material and musically superficial will soon pass and a backlash will occur.
Just look at, for example, the world of metal/shred guitar. 20 years ago Satriani came out with 'Surfing with the Alien' and instead of understanding how he created it a generation of 16-yearolds wanted to playalong with it. You tube is full of these now adults up their own dead end shredding away to nobody while the guys who played classic pop/rock tunes and blues in bars are still doing it - and having fun, as are the people who turn up to listen!! The audience too wil tire of another Stochelo lick machine in our GJ world and will wait for someone to come along who can play music that has more than flash content. Going back to my 'Shred' analogy what we are waiting for is a Guns n Roses type gypsy act that will lack the technical content but will have people getting the music!
I can see the posts now about Cabo in a curly wig and top hat but I am being serious. Music trends are cyclical and can't grow and grow - the audience can't and won't keep up.
I agree with you. Play the music because it is good music - and fun! If it sounds like a techical exercise leave it for the practice room. The funny thing is no matter which way this music goes the loop still keeps coming back to Django. Thank God for that.
Gadjo

Re: Some Help Please

Postby Jono » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Teddy Dupont wrote:I was only interested in enjoying rather than punishing myself.

There's certainly some punishment in those epic versions of Daphne...

:twisted:
They may be drinkers, Robin, but they're still human beings.
Jono

Postby Teddy Dupont » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:34 pm

Gadjo wrote: The funny thing is no matter which way this music goes the loop still keeps coming back to Django.

That is the only thing that keeps me sane in this world of picks, bridges, string types. wood colours, down strokes and interminably replicated licks.
Teddy Dupont

Postby Birrelly Niblett » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:09 am

Dear Teddy,

I will assist if I can. But please understand that like Cabo I am heavily medicated.

1) An entry level guitar. Since I am retired, I can only afford a maximum of £200 which is about $40 at the current exchange rate.

Kimbara or Samick...accept no other

2) The type of plectrum I should be using - ball end or loop.
God man...what do you need a plectrum for??? I use the engorged spleen of a belgian...only way to get the sound.

3) The type of strings I should be using. I understand Django used only Ernie Ball loop ends fitted with balls.

If you look at the photos of late Django you can clearly see that he is using silly string from a can.

4) Do you fit ball and loop end strings in the same way?
no idea
5) When changing strings, should I remove them all and leave the guitar overnight in a hot room before putting the new ones on?
abso funkinglutely

6) Should I use only down strokes when playing "La Pompe"?
Only use up.

7) Should I use only down strokes when it is only possible to play up strokes? see above

8 ) Could anyone recommend a CD with all Django Reinhardt's recordings on for less than £2?
on ebay you can get the whole collection burned onto one cdr for 75p but watch out for the £200 post and p charge

9) Does Cabo wear his wife's knickers?
Is he really married??? Good lord....

10) Is it necessary to hold the guitar differently when playing gypsy jazz?
hold it like its a bucket of soapy frogs....

11) Is "Minor Swing" actually based on the traditional gypsy tune "Ksaianglic Chkeckscrecher"? I take it you are refering to the scolarly paper by Prof Bertram Nibblett...yet to be subject to peer review.

12) Was Joseph Reinhardt really a lesbian?
certainly.....you know you have the pics...

13) Should I lacquer my testicles in order to get that authentic gypsy jazz sound? No french polish or a thin shellac..

14) Should I replace the bridge after each gig? Are you refering to the bridge on the guitar or the humber bridge? Please be more specific.

15) Is a plastic Maccaferri a guitar or a contraceptive device? both...Mario was a genius...and to think that he also went on to make all those charming nintendo games...
16) Has anyone got the chords for "Dancing Queen". Will post soon
17) Is there any hope for the world? absolutely not...ever the optimist teddy

Yours Birellly Niblett (Prof)
Djangoists do it with two fingers
Birrelly Niblett

Return to Trust Me I'm a Doctor