Picking Question

Ask our resident Doctor your troubling questions

Moderator: Teddy Dupont

Picking Question

Postby Teddy Dupont » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:27 am

A difficult technical question from our old Australian mate Wayne:-

Hi Doc,

I have been trying to work out the picking sequence Django uses on the opening chord of "Improvisation No 1" but I just can't get it right. I've tried just about everything - DUDUDU - DDUUDD - UDDUUD - DUUDDU etc etc. You name it. I've tried it. But nothing sounds right! Please help.

Wayne Kerr

Unfortunately, I just cannot help you Wayne. I've listened to this intro many times but have been completely unable to resolve the picking direction. I've even looked through my 85 gypsy jazz instruction manuals but no clues there I am afraid although I have just learnt something new about inversions which I shall be trying out at the first opportunity. Perhaps another contributor to this forum could advise.
Teddy Dupont

Postby Stackabones » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:17 am

I've always favored DU DU, except on Saint Sarah's day. On that day I travel to Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer to pray for guidance.
Stackabones

Postby Teddy Dupont » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:09 pm

Cattermole who as we know spends most of his time making Selmer replicas by gluing matchsticks together says he thinks the bridge height had more effect on the sound Django produced than the pick direction in this intro.
Teddy Dupont

Postby Cattermole » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:15 pm

Teddy Dupont wrote:Cattermole says he thinks the bridge height had more effect on the sound Django produced than the pick direction in this intro.

You sure about that Ted?
Sounds a bit intelligent for me.
"...somebody correct me please if i have said bullshits"
Cattermole

Return to Trust Me I'm a Doctor