Mincing camp musician
62%

Total votes : 13

Postby Jono » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Caballero wrote:told Jimmy Saville to 'fuck off'

Fair enough.

nwilkins wrote:I want to hear more about McLaughlin and Forcione. please oblige

Me too!
They may be drinkers, Robin, but they're still human beings.
Jono

Postby Cattermole » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:31 pm

I also have a request, Cabo: I'd rather like to press myself up against Kim Wilde so if you should happen to bump into her during the course of your professional life perhaps you'd be kind enough to mention it to her. Thanks.
"...somebody correct me please if i have said bullshits"
Cattermole

Postby Caballero » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:01 pm

Kim Wilde? hmmm..do you like her with the 80's hairdo or are you more lusty over a 00's Kim, caked in soil , holding a sprig of parsley, wearing...dungarees and wellies?

Okay Jono and Mr Wilkins, if you can close your eyes and imagine squatting yourselves by a western campfire in the desert, with me, standing with over aways , boots on, one foot on a rock chewin' baccy and spinnin' YARNS!

Back in the eighties, when I was a pup living in London, I befriended a middle -age couple who I met at a Mclaughlin gig. Turns out the wife was a friend of Mclaughlin and he always sent 'em through a couple of passes for the gigs when he was in town. I managed to get in on the scene and was lucky enough to attend all rehearsals/gigs/after-bash drinks that went on from around '88 to '94. I spent a lot of time chatting with him( he had been a great idol of mine before all this, so I was like a little rabid puppy) and worked out that he was a somewhat quirky guy. In the sense that, being a part of the history of jazz, situations experienced etc etc changes and shapes a persons outlook. Also not overlooking the fact that he's a total mutha of a musician, on ALL levels, gives Mclaughlin an almost guru-esque personna. Mind you, he has a biting sense of humour which I witnessed at one RFH gig in London. I was chatting with Antonio, who had also met Mclaughlin on a number of occasions, when John, Trilok and Dominique came in for wine and lies. We went to chat to him and he had this weird mischievous vibe to him which I hadn't seen before and started mildly, but consistantly ripping into him about...oohhh things like, was he wearing a 'world' hat to cover up his bald head and why did he bother going to artclasses and design the cover of his own album when he could have got someone else to do it better! Hats off (sic)to Antonio, he just kinda took it, must have been a bit de-moralising coming from someone he admired. I don't think Mclaughlin was being nasty purposely, he was just in piss-taking mode, he seemed jovial about it. I was standing there sort of shocked with Mclaughlin nudging me like we was down the pub or something. Very bizarre situation to be privy to. Mind you, couple of years later, I saw him totally bollock Katia Lebeque over her phrasing in 'Spain', she ran off crying, that was weird too, but they were shacked up together at the time so I suppose they had that shit going on. Freaky cuz she's a demon too, he was going "CHICK DIDN'T WRITE IT LIKE THAT!!" and then turning around to to talk to everyone about Paco while she was running down the hall crying. I never rubbed my knob against either of 'em I've only done that to the Beverly Sisters.
Ta Daaaa!
I hope this tale wasn't a waste of your eye-time gentlemen, most of my 'Name' stories involve acts of gross stupidity, purile behaviour, swearing or weirdness, sometimes all. Anyone got any good ones? :)
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby Cattermole » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:51 pm

I'll take Kim as she comes...........so to speak.

Interesting that McGlaughlin should get hissy over interpretation in Jazz as it seems to go against the whole ethos, especially getting hissy along the lines of the interpretation not being what the composer had written or wanted. Who does he think he is?... Herbert Von Karajan.

More stories please.
"...somebody correct me please if i have said bullshits"
Cattermole

Postby Caballero » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:00 pm

Like I said, I think they had shit going on. He's been with someone else now for a long time. Katia is a very single-minded, determined person, at the time she didn't let anything get in the way of music. The old story of relationships, one person wants one thing etc.
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby Teddy Dupont » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:55 pm

Caballero wrote:Like I said, I think they had shit going on. He's been with someone else now for a long time. Katia is a very single-minded, determined person, at the time she didn't let anything get in the way of music. The old story of relationships, one person wants one thing etc.

Wow! So profound and incisive. You should have been a relationship councellor.

You have done a lot of brown-nosing of Stochelo Rosenberg. What stories have you of your exploits with him? I've already heard the one about the bar of carbolic soap and the loofa.
Teddy Dupont

Postby Caballero » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:29 am

Teddy Dupont wrote:Wow! So profound and incisive. You should have been a relationship councellor.

Yes. You're right Teddy. In fact I shall start now. After all these years, it's about time you look deep within yourself and face your inner truth. Your marriage has been a sham these past couple of decades. Be a good fellow and take Mrs Dupont out for a cream-tea and share with her your longing to dress as a woman. After the initial shock, It will be easier for her to accept you as Tandy Dupont and shortly after, introduce her to Gerald and your friends at the Golden Shower Rotary Club. If you can steer all this 'round her, the kids'll be a piece o' piss! :D £85 please (mates rates).

Stochelo? no puke stories there, I'm afraid. He's got a sharp mind about him, witty, very nice guy, fine, fine guitar player. He's been very patient with me as I always seem to turn up when he's least suspecting it! My friend Mary introduced us years back and sadly, because she is no longer with us, It's up to Leo to throw me at him every now and again. Sometimes chatty, sometimes reserved, he always says something that'll crack me up. I remember talking to him about Bireli when he first hooked up with him, he said it was the most demanding playing situation he'd been in, at that point, he said Bireli would just take a tune over and out while everyone else played catchup. A little while later, when I was lucky enough to have a bit of time with Bireli, he said he was nervous about playing Django tunes with Stochelo, he really likes Stochelos playing I think. Nice to observe at that level, the mutual respect thing shines through.
When I first met Stochelo, he asked if I wanted to see the guitar he'd just bought. He flipped the lid on the case to reveal a truly fucked looking Castellucia. Neck off, holes in the sound board etc. He looked at me totally straight and said "I bought it from a gypsy".

Tell us some amusing stories about Neville Chamberlain.
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Previous

Return to Trust Me I'm a Doctor