Selmer Question

Ask our resident Doctor your troubling questions

Moderator: Teddy Dupont

Selmer Question

Postby Teddy Dupont » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:38 am

I am away to Glastonbury for a couple of days so I thought I had better clear at least one query before I go.

First a heartfelt thank you to the dozens of people who have sent me private messages requesting advice and I am only able to post a few of these due to the pressures of time in my hectic schedule. May I make one request however? No more questions about body piercing and flatulence please as I have been inundated with them.

So here is a question from Ivor:-

Dear Doctor T,

Whilst clearing out my Aunty Minging's loft I found a guitar which turned out to be an original 1938 Selmer - I have had it authenticated by an expert. The guitar appears to be in mint condition except that unfortunately it has the initials D.R. hand carved in the headstock by an inconsiderate previous owner. Despite this damage, I told my Aunty I was prepared to buy it from her but the she is a bit of an old cheapskate and insisted on £200 cash. After much soul searching, I finally decided to take a chance and purchase it from her. However, I have just noticed the bridge height is not exactly right for me. Do you think I should insist she have the bridge replaced with something acceptable to me or forget the whole thing and buy a Gitane?

Regards,

Ivor P. Nuss

Do not part with any money for that guitar Ivor until you are totally satisfied with the bridge. It would be like throwing your cash down the toilet if you did. I know for a fact that Django rejected 19 out of every 20 Selmers he was given purely because of the bridge height. You would be far better off buying a Gitane and spending the next 3 years modifying it until it is a completely different guitar.
Teddy Dupont

Postby Teddy Dupont » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:03 pm

Just received an excited PM from Ivor. He bought the guitar from his Aunty but was unhappy with the finish so he did a re-laquering job himself although he had had no previous experience. He is justifiably very happy with the result:-

Teddy Dupont

Re: Selmer Question

Postby Rene » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:55 pm

Teddy Dupont wrote:I am away to Glastonbury for a couple of days so .

Eh ? Doing what exactly, snorting coke up Lost Vagueness ? :shock:
Rene

Return to Trust Me I'm a Doctor