Technical Breakthrough

Ask our resident Doctor your troubling questions

Moderator: Teddy Dupont

Technical Breakthrough

Postby Teddy Dupont » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:14 pm

Like most of you, I am much more interested in the technicalities of and hardware associated with Gypsy Jazz than I am in the music itself. To this end, I am continually challenging the authenticity of my playing and recently felt the need to go back to basics as I sensed I was straying too far from the strict regimes laid down by the key Gypsy Jazz instruction books and allowing some rather tacky freedom of expression to enter my playing. In doing so, I immediately found the solution to my problem in one of my 1930's instruction manuals. Quite frankly, I have been holding the guitar in totally the wrong way. It's so obvious when you know. Having changed my technique exactly in line with the photos below of the curiously headless guitarist, the results are simply amazing and I would suggest you all endeavour to replicate this technique immediately.

Co-incidentally to my adopting this approach, I have developed the most dreadful pains in my left shoulder and elbow necessitating frequent and extremely painful cortisone injections but this will in no way stop me pushing ahead with my practicing since I have clearly found the holy grail of guitar authenticity.
Attachments
Holding The Guitar.jpg
Teddy Dupont

Postby Stackabones » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:35 pm

I can adapt my playing position, but I'm going to have to save up for the tuxedo.
Stackabones

Postby Jono » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:41 pm

I think the guitar must be glued to the tuxedo. Where did you get that book and what's it called? Miles Cholmondley-Warner's Play In A Jiffy?

Priceless.
They may be drinkers, Robin, but they're still human beings.
Jono

Postby Cuimean » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:52 am

Stackabones wrote:I can adapt my playing position, but I'm going to have to save up for the tuxedo.

And the head removal surgery.
Cuimean

Postby Teddy Dupont » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:18 am

I have actually managed to locate the one of the original photos from which these odd crops were made. And lo and behold it is our old friend, the ubiquitous Jessie Hopbeer.

Or for those of you who would like to download a higher resolution copy to make a poster for yourselves:-
Attachments
Jessie Holding Guitar.jpg
Teddy Dupont

Postby Thrip » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:18 pm

I'm almost prepared to forgive you for your capitalist jibe, Teddy. That Cabo's a dark horse, eh?
Thrip

Postby Caballero » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:36 pm

Oh yeah? I recently snuck into the 'good' Doctors surgery and happened to open the clinics 'sterilising unit'.
Shocking. :shock:
Attachments
Inside The Doctors dish-washer.jpg
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby Teddy Dupont » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:30 pm

Caballero wrote:Shocking. :shock:

Why? Don't you wash yours?
Teddy Dupont

Re: Technical Breakthrough

Postby kimmo » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:10 pm

Teddy Dupont wrote:...I am continually challenging the authenticity of my playing and recently felt the need to go back to basics as I sensed I was straying too far from the strict regimes laid down by the key Gypsy Jazz instruction books and allowing some rather tacky freedom of expression to enter my playing.

This reminds me of an ancient thread in one of the French GJ-fora.

One poor lad had had his precious guitar stolen. He described the guitar in detail and posted a pic of himself playing it, hoping that someone would recognize the item somewhere and report him about it.

He got one reply.

Your guitar seems fine, but, mon dieu, your playing position is totally wrong. Especially your right arm and hand seem so tense that if you get any sounds - let alone the preferable ones - out of your guitar, it's a miracle.

I don't know, if he ever wanted his guitar back.

kimmo
kimmo

Return to Trust Me I'm a Doctor