Plectrum Question

Ask our resident Doctor your troubling questions

Moderator: Teddy Dupont

How important is body armour when playing at speed?

Essential
31%
Quite Important
No votes
Not Necessary
13%
I Always Play Stark Bollock Naked
56%

Total votes : 16

Plectrum Question

Postby Teddy Dupont » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:44 pm

I have already received this pm:-

Dear Dr Dupont,

I recently bought a new authentic gypsy jazz plectrum from www.AuthenticGypsyJazzPicks.com. I was initially extremely pleased with the sound it produced and its incredible "playability". Unfortunately, during a particularly hectic version of "Tiger Rag", the plectrum exploded and blew off my right hand. Do you think I should persevere with this make of pick or return to my old coconut soaked in organic cider vinegar version?

Thank you.

Sebastian Allnuts

My dear Sebastion, it is essential to continue with your new authentic style of pick. This music is not for pansies who are affected by the odd minor mutilation. Determination to be authentic is everything; the critical demands of the rest stroke proving conclusively that at no stage should you actually be enjoying yourself. I do, however, suggest you wear body armour the next time you attempt "Tiger Rag".
Teddy Dupont

Postby Teddy Dupont » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:19 pm

Would those of you who have picked Option 4 in the above poll please post all your gigs immediately? We need to avoid those like the plague.
Teddy Dupont

Postby Jono » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:44 pm

Has anyone got the chords to Stark Bollock Naked?
They may be drinkers, Robin, but they're still human beings.
Jono

Postby Cattermole » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:02 pm

Jono wrote:Has anyone got the chords to Stark Bollock Naked?

No, I haven't, although I was stark bollock naked when I posted this.
"...somebody correct me please if i have said bullshits"
Cattermole

Postby Caballero » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:27 pm

Wild! and I've just had spaghetti bollock naked for dinner.
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby Teddy Dupont » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:26 pm

Having read the last three posts, I think the only thing I can say is BOLLOCKS!
Teddy Dupont

Postby Teddy Dupont » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:47 am

Sebastion is back:-

Dear Dr Dupont,

Thanks you for your previous advice. I have had an incredibly life-like prosthetic hand fitted and I am making tremendous progress. The hand does tend to have a life of its own though rather like the one Dr Strangelove had and as a result, I have inadvertently destroyed several guitars but other than that everything is going fine.

The flack jacket I wear at gigs is also creating quite a stir.

I have another plectrum related question. On the site www.authenticchinesedjangopicks.com I have seen a very tempting offer. An aluminium (aluminum to our many American readers.Ed) which is claimed to be exactly like the aluminiun plectrum Django always used. I have enclosed a photo. What do you think? Should I buy one? They are only £25 each and you can also buy an insurance policy for £30 in case of loss.

Snap up that offer while you have a chance Seb. That is a real bargain. I have been using these aluminiun plectra for many years after reading that an American had conclusively proven that Django always used them. The sound produced is astonishing. Plummy with a hint of oak and treacle.
Teddy Dupont

Postby spatzo » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:40 pm

Well I do have this one and it is a real nice one Mister Teddy

Postby Phydeaux3 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:45 pm

I am disappointed and extremely angry, MR DUPONT, that your link to www.authenticchinesedjangopicks.com does not actually exist as I am looking to purchase just such a plectrum.
Are you just one of those timewasters who have nothing better to do with their lives except make up inane stories and imaginary people in the effort to appear humourous. Or am I just missing the point?
Yours
Jacques Downstoke Le Pompe
Alors! Un, deux...
Phydeaux3

Postby Teddy Dupont » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:45 pm

Dear Phydeaux3,

I must apologise profusely for the failure of the link I gave. I am absolutely devastated that you should doubt my veracity for one moment and can assure you of my complete sincerity in all matters plectra related.

I have checked with my Chinese contacts and been told me that Wung Tung Tay, the manufacturer, inadvertently broke wind in public last week and was beaten unconscious by a passing policeman and is now awaiting sentence in a Beijing prison. Apparently 20 years is the minimum tariff for such an offence.

Please be assured of my earnest endeavours to locate a new source for these wonderful aluminium plectra.

Yours very, very sincerely,

Dr T. Dupont

P.S. If you look closely, you will see all the players in those Selmer #607 videos are using Wung Tung's aluminium plectra.
Teddy Dupont

Return to Trust Me I'm a Doctor