22%
Total Bollocks
11%
Complete Bollocks
67%

Total votes : 18

Top Ten Guitar Solos

Postby Teddy Dupont » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:27 pm

"Total Guitar" magazine has apparently declared the following the top ten guitar solos:-

1. Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
2. Van Halen - Eruption
3. Guns N' Roses - Paradise City
4. The Eagles - Hotel California
5. Metallica - Enter Sandman
6. Cream - Crossroads
7. Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
8. Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train
9. Free - All Right Now
10. Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

....if that's not "Taking the piss", I don't know what is.
Teddy Dupont

Postby devinci » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:45 pm

What a load of total, utter, complete bolloks
devinci

Postby Ganondorf » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:19 pm

WHAT !!!, no STATUS QUO?!!! :shock:
Ganondorf

Postby Schoscho » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:04 pm

I "love" these guitar magazines... :roll:
Schoscho

Postby patrick.n » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:39 pm

this was reported in the metro paper this morning. If they got it right, the poll was for the top 10 *air guitar* solos
patrick.n

Postby frater » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:35 am

Considering those bands, maybe "hair guitar" solos... :)
"Et pas besoin d'avoir de fines moustaches pour jouer cette musique!" B. Lagréne
frater

Postby Agent » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:48 pm

Music magazines in the UK seem to be edited by such dull, lazy tossers (sorry if any are reading, but you must surely know what I mean). Every time they're stuck for an idea - that is, every issue - they throw together some poll that confirms to their readers that, yes, their favourite bands and albums are "the best ever" or "essential".
Agent

Postby Rich » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:45 pm

I also hate the way they use a picture of Jimi Hendrix's face on the cover of every magazine cause they know it will sell. The man was a genius and did far more for music than just writing Purple Haze.. yet there is it.. another tab for purple haze. Who's buying these magazines..? don't they have the internet..? :(
Rich

Postby SwingOpi » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:27 pm

Rich wrote:Who's buying these magazines..? don't they have the internet..? :(

Tach,

If there´s a GJ-Mag, I would be the first who get a copy of it!!!

But even the "Jazz" magazines in Germany didn´t print much about Django (or others of the scene) in the last time, very poor.
SwingOpi

Postby Barengero » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:35 am

Hi Swing Opi,

since 1996 I had discussions with the first editor of the german "Akustik Gitarre" magazin, Gregor Hilden, who lived next door to me when this mag started. I wanted to convince him of the fact that Gypsy Jazz is an essential part of acoustic guitar music. Gregor was and is an electric blues player and hadn´t any sense for Gypsy Jazz music and I think the publisher wouldn´t expect any commercial use if they would feature GJ themes.

When in 2005 Gregor left the magazin and two others guys took the editors part I made a new start, proudly referring to the Gypsy Jazz Boom in the U.S. I found that there was less than no interest. They told me that they made a general inquiry among their readers with the result that there was no interest for Gypsy Jazz. So forget about "Akustik Gitarre"

There once was a good magazin "Hot Club News" since 1991 but this publication ended a few years ago.

The same happened to "French guitar", a magazine from france. But there is an new one, "Guitarist acoustique". Thge first 8 issues are out now (for more infos look here:
http://www.djangostation.com/article.ph ... rticle=436
I don´t know this one yet. If you are living in Trier it shoul be not too hard to get this magazine from france :wink:
Please let me know what you think.

Best,
Barengero
Barengero

Postby SwingOpi » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:29 pm

Tach,

I´ll do this.

The "Akustik Gitarre", totally crap (from the GJ point of view, but I won´t miss some good advices fom Autschbach). In the last 5 issues, there wasn´t nearly a half page, wich was dedicated to GJ, only a few book reviews we all know.
SwingOpi

Postby frater » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:41 pm

"Guitarist Acoustic" is a must for GJ guitar players... go for it!
"Et pas besoin d'avoir de fines moustaches pour jouer cette musique!" B. Lagréne
frater

Postby Rich » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:38 pm

I think magazines are on there way out really.. well.. eventually.. the internet can provide everything they provide and more.

Some like minded individuals from this online community should start a monthly e-magazine.

THere are people here definatly capable of writing.. and the combined knowledge of people here would be enough to write a million magazines.

You could have reviews, articles on technique, historical stuff.. basically everything discussed here summed up in a monthly magazine.

I'm sure people wouldn't mind paying to subscribe to it if time was spent making it a good read.
Rich

Return to Taking the piss etc...