Django in Hollywood

Exactly what it says on the tin

Moderators: Caballero, Zoot

Postby Ando » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:02 pm

If it's a documentary, that'd be great. Isn't "biopic" a pop genre? Like the Glenn Miller Story, which in the haze of memory wasn't so bad.
Ando

Postby Ando » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:15 pm

Sorry Ted, I'm a bit slow this afternoon. Recreations are the only option for biopics. As for documentaries, what about something in the style of Ken Burns? Way more photos than footage. Such a film should have been made when Grappelly was still alive. <the usual sigh>
Ando

Postby justjack » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:54 am

One other thing comes to mind. Those who remember the Django cameo in the animated Triplets of Belleville might be interested to know that the guy who made it has dubbed his animation company Studio Django. Maybe he'll take up the gauntlet and produce an animated documentary using the actual recordings (the deal-breaker) as a way of getting around the dearth of film footage. Well, you never know.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby Teddy Dupont » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:25 pm

TedGottsegen wrote:Will it worse than "Bird", "The Buddy Holly Story" or "Lady Sings The Blues" or all of the above?

Not forgetting the perfect casting of cleft-chinned, macho Kirk Douglas to play the Bix Beiderbecke based role in "Young Man with a Horn" or Danny "look at me everybody, I'm mincing" Kaye as Red Nichols in "Five Pennies".

The term "biopic" is the kiss of death to everything, especially if produced in Hollywood.

The only film I have ever seen to even touch on the atmosphere of jazz and at the same time create any sense of reality and depth was "Round Midnight" with Dexter Gordon. Unfortunately it was so relentlessly depressing, I tried to commit suicide twice whilst watching it.
Teddy Dupont

Postby Ando » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:37 pm

Toss the biopic entirely. I'd prefer something like Robert Altman's "Kansas City" anyway, set in pre-war Paris.
Ando

Postby Northern-Neil » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:46 am

Fact is, I think its already been done, in a sense, when Woody Allen produced Sweet and Lowdown. I think that the not entirely authentic playing was got round very nicely by Sean Penn's character only showing emotion when he heard Django - and knowing his own playing lacked something. As far as Hollywood is concerned, I think that our genre should leave it at that... for now. On the one hand, lots of people I know were sufficiently moved by the film to investigate Gipsy Jazz further - and become fans, whereas on the other hand, I'm not so sure Django's life story would actually be that interesting unless you were interested already.
...Eh up, Djangologists!
Northern-Neil

Postby Northern-Neil » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:57 am

justjack wrote:One other thing comes to mind. Those who remember the Django cameo in the animated Triplets of Belleville might be interested to know that the guy who made it has dubbed his animation company Studio Django. Maybe he'll take up the gauntlet and produce an animated documentary using the actual recordings (the deal-breaker) as a way of getting around the dearth of film footage. Well, you never know.

I think that would definitely be the way forward, Jack. (Forgive me, but I posted my comments above before I had examined this thread properly, and missed what I've just quoted.) I also think that it will dispense with Teddy's fears that it will, automatically, be 'rubbish'. If done conventionally as a movie, I think he's right. If done as an animation but with the type of computer animation used in, say, Lord of the rings, it will also be rubbish; computer animation is good, but not as good as film producers think. On the other hand, a sensitively produced animation, by an animator of the calibre of the guy (forgotten his name) who did Belleville Rendezvous, Then it would be great. This may sound bizarre, but even Nick Park would produce an interesting, although quirky, result and he's well enough known now for any production to reach a lot of people!
...Eh up, Djangologists!
Northern-Neil

Postby Swing This! » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:01 pm

Something in the vein of an Archtop Eddy documentary would work well ~ as those who've seen it will testify and for those who've not, his video documented last years Django Fest NorthWest, with snippets and clips from both audience and performer.

Or something in the style of the great film of Thelonius Monk: "Straight No Chaser"-with background on Django's life set against footage of today's gypsy artistis.
Swing This!

Postby Phydeaux3 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:33 pm

Why not give it to Disney whilst were at it?? :wink:
Alors! Un, deux...
Phydeaux3

Postby Swing This! » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:08 pm

It would be great to get at least a Soundtrack to any film that's being made, that could include all of today's great gypsy jazz artists, which may work towards promoting this great music to a larger audience... as happened with "Buena Vista Social Club."

Imagine the likes of Debarre, Lagrene, Lafertin, Schmitt & Co. appearing at major jazz festivals!! Good job this is the "Taking the piss" page, as you'd be thinking this was a serious possibility! :wink:
Swing This!

Postby djangology » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:21 pm

maybe if we all pay attention to the list of upcoming movies, when something shows up that fits the gypsy jazz genre, then we can all try to promote the music for the film...

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/upcoming/bydate/indevel/

we could use the Virtual Gypsy jazz project as "a demo" for submission to the movie producer...
djangology

Previous

Return to Taking the piss etc...