Django in Hollywood

Exactly what it says on the tin

Moderators: Caballero, Zoot

Django in Hollywood

Postby straypicker » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:22 am

As some of you are aware, a new movie has been due to be released for some time. It's called Head In The Clouds and includes a scene in which Django is portrayed by John Jorgenson. I've heard many speculations on when it will be in theatres, but I'm wondering if anyone has any clue what the hold up is, and when we might see this film released.
straypicker

Postby justjack » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:29 am

What I've heard is Friday 17 September. I work in a theater, so I'll try to keep you updated if anything changes. What I want to know, though, is what's happening with the Django biopic that was supposedly in the pipeline...
justjack
Mad For It

Postby straypicker » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:27 am

Thanks for the info. I haven't heard anything about a biopic, do you know if it will be shown in the states?
straypicker

Postby justjack » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:23 pm

I'd guess so, but it has to get made first. Last I heard, the guy that wanted to do it was busy with other things. Was it Frank Marshall? Gary Marshall? Something like that.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby TedGottsegen » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:53 pm

justjack wrote:I'd guess so, but it has to get made first. Last I heard, the guy that wanted to do it was busy with other things. Was it Frank Marshall? Gary Marshall? Something like that.

It's Frank Marshall, son of Jack Marshall who was a big band guitarist who moved to LA and became a studio composer and arranger and who US members will be interested to know composed the theme to The Munsters.
TedGottsegen

Postby Rene » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:14 am

"The Munsters" - what a class tune.
Rene

Postby Teddy Dupont » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:35 pm

justjack wrote:.... What I want to know, though, is what's happening with the Django biopic that was supposedly in the pipeline...

If this film is ever made, it is guaranteed to be total rubbish.
Teddy Dupont

Postby nwilkins » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:34 pm

that's where you're wrong Teddy, it's going to be great! They're going to get Nicolas Cage to play Django and Paul Reubens (Peewee Herman) to play Grappelli. I believe they are in talks with Tom Selleck about playing Joseph R.
nwilkins

Postby Thrip » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:39 pm

Teddy Dupont wrote:If this film is ever made, it is guaranteed to be total rubbish.

That's the spirit!
Thrip

Postby TedGottsegen » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:59 pm

Teddy Dupont wrote:
justjack wrote:.... What I want to know, though, is what's happening with the Django biopic that was supposedly in the pipeline...

If this film is ever made, it is guaranteed to be total rubbish.

Will it worse than "Bird", "The Buddy Holly Story" or "Lady Sings The Blues" or all of the above?
TedGottsegen

Postby Cuimean » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:34 pm

My favorite is The Gene Krupa Story. That film lets you know just how dangerous it was back then, with all those junkies forcing joints on unsuspecting musicians! Poor Gene....

I agree that a Django biopic would be almost a guaranteed disappointment, but I could see an incident from his life making for some decent entertainment. In particular, there's some drama inherent in his attempted escape from France as described in Mike Zwerin's book Swing Under the Nazis. Personally, I'd play it as a black comedy, but that's just me.
Cuimean

Postby felixcharlock » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:45 pm

nwilkins wrote:They're going to get Nicolas Cage to play Django

What a nauseating thought. I will now stab myself in the eye with a pencil.
felixcharlock

Postby felixcharlock » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:48 pm

Cuimean wrote: Personally, I'd play it as a black comedy, but that's just me.

Totally agree. As directed by Mel Brooks?
felixcharlock

Postby Ando » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:52 pm

John Jorgenson has spoken optimistically about the Frank Marshall biopic, but I don't know what his optimism meant exactly.

Personally, I hope the film is inaccurate, ridiculous, true, and entertaining. Then we shall have something to say. Anything else will be tedious.

Unless someone would like to say what an ideal film about Django would be like.
Ando

Postby TedGottsegen » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:54 pm

Ando wrote:Unless someone would like to say what an ideal film about Django would be like.

A documentary that is exactly like the Grappelly DVD...that would be ideal. Any type of attempted recreation of him on film will undoubtedly be a disappointment.
TedGottsegen

Next

Return to Taking the piss etc...