Berlin is a boring place...

Post your EU Gig dates here

Moderators: Caballero, Zoot

Berlin is a boring place...

Postby Mario » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:19 pm

Berlin is a boring place...at least if it comes to GJ events.

Ok, in November, there was Joscho Stephan playing in Berlin, but hey! - he's from Germany anyway.

But did any of the better known Gypsy Jazzers play in Berlin over the last couple of years? Bireli? Tchavolo? Stochelo?

It's just like with all the better irish acts like Lunasa (yes, I do listen to and also play irish trad) - they all leave out Berlin. It's like a white spot on the map. If you want to play Berlin, you gotta be hip. Noisy. Loud. Stylish. You name it. :roll:

So sad...
Mario

Postby Barengero » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:01 pm

Hi Mario,

at least Dotschy Reinhardt will make her CD-Release in Berlin at the 6 th of January (Werkstatt der Kulturen). If Alexej Wagner is playing guitar, this will not be very "Gipsy-Jazz"-like, but sometimes Dotschy is backed by Bobby Falta and his son Lancy. Dotschy is a fine guitarist in her own right.

Ask Dotschy where the Sinti players meet in Berlin.

Best,
Barengero
Barengero

Postby Rookie » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:20 pm

When you've asked him, tell me I want to come too ;).
How said it may sound, Berlin indeed sucks compared to other citys like London or Paris, well any deam city, in terms of gypsy jazz gigs etc.
We share the same pain my firend ;).

Good luck and take a look here from time to time http://www.hotclubnews.de/konzertplan/

It show GJ gigs all over germany, sometimes you find sth. german there.

GreetZ Rookie
Wisdom hunts me, but I'm faster.
Rookie

Postby Barengero » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:49 pm

Rookie wrote:When you've asked him,

him?! Dotschy Reinhardt is a girl! I put her picture here so you can decide if thyself want to go there and ask her!

Best,
Barengero

(Berlin is poor, but sexy, I once was told)
Attachments
Dotschy Reinhardt.jpg
Barengero

Postby Mario » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:21 pm

Now, that's a pitty, but I'm afraid that I'll be in Hannover that weekend.

But then, if she's from Berlin/Brandenburg, there should be other opportunities.

On a sidenote: I was playing at an irish session last night, where I met a nice, quiet fellow by the name of Ulrich Enzensberger. He's a journalist and wrote the official biography of Otto Rosenberg, who was the chairman of the association of the german Roma and Sinti in Berlin/Brandenburg (he also was the father of Marianne Rosenberg). Now, that's what I call a coincidence.

Barengero: it's funny that you're alway the one who comes up with something when I fall into one of my Berlin-frenzies...

As you seem to be so thoroughly informed about Berlin events - you're not, by any chance, a Berlin dweller as well? Yeah, yeah, I know: Old Europe... :wink:

Cheers,

Mario
Mario

Postby james hart » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:18 am

perhaps we could begin a list of gypsy jazz wastelands. i live in phoenix, arizona, and there is absolutely no gj scene whatsoever. there are a handfull of people who can play the music, but no shows. no jam, or djam sessions anywhere, i've even run ads in the papers with no response. of course, there is plenty of modern jazz, rock blues and metal, loads of cowboy bands, the acoustic scene is mostly irish bands, and james taylor/ dave mathews wannabees. dozens of times i've sat in guitar stores playing rhythm without one single person coming over and saying anything about gj. so if anyone living near me is interested, please, message me. thank you
shut up and play your guitar
james hart

Postby justjack » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:39 am

Hi James,

Off the top of my head, there's Chuck Hulihan (Duozona), who posts here and at the Djangobooks forum regularly:
http://www.duozona.com/
You can send him a message on the forum here.

You might also try the Searchers page, which could be woefully out of date, but I do see at least one Phoenix guy (a bassist):
http://www.hotclub.co.uk/html/searcher.html
And while my geography stinks, there's also the Hot Club of Tucson...what is that, 2 hours away? Probably too far, I know, but they might be able to turn you on to others in the area.

At any rate, good luck! I've been there before, and I know it can be a frustrating thing...

Best,
Jack.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby Mario » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:40 pm

james hart wrote:...of course, there is plenty of modern jazz, rock blues and metal, loads of cowboy bands, the acoustic scene is mostly irish bands, and james taylor/ dave mathews wannabees.

Yes. I do recognize the pattern. Looks very much like the Berlin situation - with the possible exception of Dave Matthews impersonators, as nobody in Germany seems to know Dave Matthews at all, which is a sad thing in it's own right.
Mario

Postby james hart » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:44 pm

thank you jack. i met chuck at the college where he works during a john jorgensen appearance. the whole music dept. holds him in very high regard. cool shoes, too.
shut up and play your guitar
james hart

Postby Duozona » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:05 am

James

Hey, whats up? I know what you mean about Phoenix, but we are trying, I promise you. I play now in Desert Hot Swing, with Daniele Spadavecchia

http://www.myspace.com/deserthotswing

Daniele came to PHX from New Orleans, where he played with Tony Green for some time leading up to Katrina. We only recently did some recording and got our press materials together, but we are hitting the pavement trying to break into the local jazz scene. My prevailing style has been classical for years, so the most people in PHX know me that way, hence its been tough tryinbg to get clubs to give us a chance. If you have looked up the jazz scene here, you know the same five or six acts play everywhere, and its far form anything Gypsy Jazz.

Daniele and I have been plaing some private engagements and coorporate events ($) but we do hope to get a regular GJazz gig going somewhere
here in town. I'll keep you posted.

Allin Kibben from Hot Club of Tucson, http://www.hotcluboftucson.com/, is a great player and a great guy to get to know. He sometimes hosts jams, and of course his group is excellent. Drop him a line as well.

A guy named Robert Tercer emailed me a little while back about jammng also. Not sure if he posts here, or just to Djangobooks. There is Chris Daniels, who plays in Jazzola, http://www.jazzola.com/, he plays out regularly and is a great Gypsy Jazz player.

I wish I had more time to jam myself, between my gig at GCC, my classical duo with my wife, and Desert Hot Swing, I have my hands a little full right now, but Im up to hanging in the future if you can deal with my difficult schedule. Just drop me an email. And to be sure, you are Blindjimmy on the other boards right?

On a side note, got some cool new shoes yesterday in fact!

:wink:

-Chuck
Duozona

Return to EU Gig Listings