Thinking In the language of Manouche Guitar...The mind Set

New to the scene? Help is at hand. No question too silly.

Moderator: justjack

Thinking In the language of Manouche Guitar...The mind Set

Postby Gullahboy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:29 pm

Hello guys

I just wanted to wish everyone Happy Holidays...and thank the forum for giving me the encouragemnet and the help as I study this beautiful form of music ........At this present time I am studying the secretes of gypsy jazz and I am at the last song before it goes into Dark Eyes .....to make a long story short the book is kicking my ass but I love it..I am learning but what I am looking for is things to start becoming second nature just like when one is learning a new language certain things after the first few months start clicking.......And right now that is not happening ....Yes I am learning some rhythm licks and some neat solos but, I feel if I ever were to jam with some guys I would not be able to apply what I have learned ....Since where I am there are not any person who teaches this style of guitar I am alone..I just want to know is, are there a series of books that help make this style of guitar a part of a persons vocabulary , what I am trying to do is think in the language of Manouche and develop a second nature mentality when it comes to just practising or playing.
Gullahboy

Postby Ricardo » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:54 pm

It's the Dennis Chang dvd's you are after. Other than that, practice, practice,practice!!! Oh and listen to nothing else but Django/gypsy jazz. (constantly).
Ricardo

Postby Thrip » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:01 am

I think you've kind of answered your own question. It sounds like you're doing the right things. Carry on and eventually it will start to happen. Personally I find that whenever I learn something new it takes a long time before it comes out spontaneously in my playing, months or years even.
Thrip

Postby stublag » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:47 pm

Yes Thrip is right--you have to work on licks and ideas but it takes a long time before they become your 'property'
It is incredibly difficult to learn this stuff from books and by yourself though so don't be too hard on yourself
Download the Wrembel backing tracks--select maybe 5 medium paced tunes
and play along with them-this helps with timing and will help internalise the sound of good pompe rhythm
Also don't be afraid to repeat yourself when soloing--Kenny Werner in the book Effortless mastery points out that all the great jazz artists(even Django) use their own stock licks time after time.
Good luck
Stu
stublag

Postby Djangoslefthandman » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:32 am

Echo all the above, especially the frustration factor.

Andreas Oberg told me that you have to get it to the point where you can play the lick while carrying on a conversation - it's that automatic.

Also don't underestimate the melody and stylistic decoration. Listen to Fapy playing his first chorus on a solo - he'll often play off the melody. A bonus of doing this is that you'll get a different solo for every tune and you carry the listener with you.

Best of luck with your studies.
Djangoslefthandman

Return to Gypsy Jazz for Rookies