Chansons Hongroises

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Chansons Hongroises

Postby justjack » Thu May 06, 2004 5:51 am

I've finally wised up and bought a copy of Gypsy Guitars (Debarre, Camps, and Anastasio), and I can't help but wonder if anyone has transcribed any of the Hungarian pieces, or might be able to give me some history beyond what the liner notes provide. Can't help but notice, too, a typo above a pic of Angelo: " Serge, Angel and Frank playing at the annual Django-festival in Oslo..." I knew there was something special about that guy!

At any rate, it's a fantastic album, and a great departure from the latest Hot Club of Fill in the Blank; if people are still playing these tunes, I'd be glad to hear it.
justjack
Mad For It

Re: Chansons Hongroises

Postby troychapman » Thu May 06, 2004 6:17 am

justjack wrote: it's a great departure from the latest Hot Club of Fill in the Blank.

Have you actually heard the latest CD from HCoFITB? It's great! The swing version of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida has to be heard to be believed.
troychapman

Postby Thrip » Thu May 06, 2004 9:34 am

Their version of "Insert-Your-Name-Here Swing" is superb, too.
Thrip

Postby Teddy Dupont » Thu May 06, 2004 1:33 pm

justjack wrote:....... and a great departure from the latest Hot Club of Fill in the Blank;.....
Too many people doing essentially the same thing, no matter how well, becomes very, very boring. Unfortunately, most current Gypsy Jazz fits into that category.
Teddy Dupont

Postby troychapman » Thu May 06, 2004 5:37 pm

Teddy Dupont wrote:Too many people doing essentially the same thing, no matter how well, becomes very, very boring. Unfortunately, most current Gypsy Jazz fits into that category.

Very true. But it once again raises the paradox we face in playing this style of music.

We want the music to continue to evolve. But, as gadjos, if we take it more than a baby step away from the norm it is no longer considered
"gyspy jazz". It will take someone with either the right pedigree or enormous talent or both (a la Bireli) to make that next leap.

And that person is right now playing the same stuff we all play until that
"AHA!" moment arrives and changes the sound of Djazz.
troychapman

Postby Cuimean » Thu May 06, 2004 5:54 pm

I can't comment on the Gypsy Guitars album 'cos I don't have it, but if the tunes sound anything like I'm guessing and you really dig them, try checking out some of the artists who played in the late '60's and '70's...folks like Schnuckenack Reinhardt and Titi Winterstein. I only have a wee bit of each of their material, but it's heavy on the Eastern European folk. Lots of csardas and such. There's also a stunning variation on a Romanian folk tune on one of the early Ferre bros. albums (Gypsy Dreams? I can't remember...). It's very Bartok-y.

A quick semantic question: My father, a bagpipe player, used to give me a hard time when I would refer to the music he played as "songs." "Songs," he argued, "have words." According to him, pieces like "A.A. Cameron's Strathspey" or "Hamish MacGoober's Farewell to the City of Sheboygan" were "tunes." Do other musical cultures make these distinctions? Are the "Chansons Hongroises" ("Hungarian Songs") that Jack refers to different in some integral way from csardas and other dance tunes?

(P.S.: If anyone finds any of this remotely interesting, check out bassist George Mraz's album Morava.)
Cuimean

Postby justjack » Thu May 06, 2004 8:50 pm

troychapman wrote:Teddy Dupont wrote:
Too many people doing essentially the same thing, no matter how well, becomes very, very boring. Unfortunately, most current Gypsy Jazz fits into that category.

Very true. But it once again raises the paradox we face in playing this style of music.

We want the music to continue to evolve. But, as gadjos, if we take it more than a baby step away from the norm it is no longer considered
"gyspy jazz". It will take someone with either the right pedigree or enormous talent or both (a la Bireli) to make that next leap.

And that person is right now playing the same stuff we all play until that
"AHA!" moment arrives and changes the sound of Djazz.

Which brings up another point: I also bought Stochelo and Romane's Elegance at the same time. A great album with only two covers. To me, composers are the most likely source of evolution-I wish more contemporary players worked that side of the fence (I think Alfonso of Swing Gitan writes a lot of tunes, though I haven't heard many yet). Any other names I should check out?

Thanks for the replies, too.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby TedGottsegen » Fri May 07, 2004 12:37 am

justjack wrote: Any other names I should check out?

I totally agree, Jack. Other contemporary guitarist who are also excellent composers include:

Dino Mehrstein, Yorgui Loeffler, Patrick Saussois (usually two or three tunes on each album or originals that he either wrote himself, or co-wrote), Romane has originals on almost every album, the Acoustic Quartet album is great, his best in years. Tchavolo writes, too! They are out there, you just have to find 'em.

Best,

Ted

PS: Dino & Yorgui are great! Dino is one of the coolest young guitarists to come around in a long time.
TedGottsegen

Postby justjack » Fri May 07, 2004 6:32 am

Thanks, Ted-I'm a big fan of Patrick and Tchavolo (for their elder-statesman joie de vivre as much as their composing), but Mehrstein and Loeffler I'll have to track down. So much to learn, so little time!

Take care,
Jack.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby nwilkins » Fri May 07, 2004 12:33 pm

Both CDs can be ordered from Alain Cola for $15US each I believe, along with tons of other great ones.
nwilkins

Postby nwilkins » Fri May 07, 2004 12:34 pm

Oh and speaking of writing original songs - check out Kamlo Barre's album "Salammbo" it's fantastic!
nwilkins

Postby Paganini » Sat May 08, 2004 10:00 am

Gypsy guitars is a brilliant cd I think, already from the 80's somewhere

Those days Angelo wasn't that popular yet. George Lankester, a former neighbour of me and founder of the Dutch hotclub foundation invited him to come over to Holland after seeing him playing in a bar in Paris. He arranged some gigs just near the little village I grew up. They decided that George would be his manager, unfortunately that did not seem to work out due to I believe money reasons but I also heard that drugs were involved and Angelo seemed not the easiest to work with. I don't know the exact details, anyway they stopped working together.
What I do remember that one day Angelo came over to George and I went over as well and sat next to him with my spanish guitar hardly able to play 'House of the rising sun' cause I just started playing.

Those gigs he played in Holland bring up great memories since they were mostly in very small bars and I could just sit 1 meter in front of him and watch him play. He then used to play with some bold-headed Russian guy, I do not know his name, a very charismatic person, this guy was singing too. They always played half traditional and Balkan music and the rest HCDF.
This cd inspired me a lot and was one of my first HCDF cd's
Paganini

Return to Tunes