Noto/Babik

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Noto/Babik

Postby justjack » Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:40 am

Does anyone else feel like Noto Swing and Just One for Babik sound sort of similar? Is there some connection between these tunes I don't know about? It's just the first couple of bars I'm thinking about.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby TedGottsegen » Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:16 am

They are similar because they are both in minor keys, "Babik" in Gm and "Noto" in Am, however the progressions are different. I have a sheet for "Babik" lying around somewhere...if I can find it amidst all my crap, I'll post the chords.

Best,

Ted
TedGottsegen

Postby justjack » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:13 am

Hi Ted,

The progressions are definitely different; for Noto, I was looking at the gadjodrom grille, and listening to the version from the Nolan book; for Babik, I've been using this:
http://www.gadjodrom.com/trans/trans_img.php?id=55

What ties them together for me was the melodic similarity in the first two bars, rather than the chord progression. After all, there must be hundreds of tunes that share similar progressions. If you transpose Babik to Am, it (the melody) runs something like this: E, Eb, E, C, C, B, C, E, E. Noto (as I've learned it) runs: E, Eb, E, C, C, B, C, B, C, Bb...

I suppose it's really just that half-step move at the opening leading to the C/B movement; it's such an interesting sound that when I hear it on one tune, I can't help but think of the other, so I wondered if there was some connection historically.

Thanks,
Jack.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby justjack » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:29 pm

To backpedal a bit: as I've played them more and more, they seem less and less connected. Last night we tried putting them back to back in a practice and even then they kept their own identities. I wonder why you don't hear Babik more; it's such a great tune, with a very pronounced gypsy feeling, it's too bad it's not displacing another version of All of Me on someone's new record.
justjack
Mad For It

Return to Tunes