Repetoire question

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Repetoire question

Postby chap » Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:57 pm

For those of you who are gigging in a Manouche style band, what tunes outside of the traditional genre have you had luck with?

Here are some from my band:

"Well You Needn't" --Monk

"Bag's Groove"--Milt Jackson/Miles

"Boogie Stop Shuffle"
"Noddin' ya Head Blues"
"Jelly Roll"
"Goodbye Pork Pie Hat"
"Haitian Fight Song"---------Mingus

"Dizzy Atmosphere" --Dizzy Gillespie

"All Blues"
"So What"
"Freddie The Freeloader"
"Milestones" (The second one)--Miles Davis

We also do some Jobim. The Jobim and Miles tunes break up the tone of the set nicely.

I look forward to hear what you all are doing in your bands.
chap

Postby Cuimean » Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:26 pm

This is too interesting a subject to die such an ignominious death. Is everyone out there just playing "Minor Swing" and "I'll See You In My Dreams"?

How about originals? Does anyone write original material in this style for their combos? (I'm the only Django enthusiast in my band, but I've managed to slip in a couple of musette-style songs that I wrote.)
Cuimean

Postby woodshedder » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:42 pm

aye! We play a manouchesqueishlike version of St. Thomas by Sonny Rollins. All about the originals too, still some uncharted territory out there to be explored me thinks...i have a few, and i'm always thinking and delving, not unlike the dwarven swingers of yester-age (?!). - i think the lack of response to posts like this is an indication that people are very guarded about their art, and don't want to give too much away for fear of someone copying their idea, standards though they be! Oh, we also just added The Looney Tunes theme...now that's a fun one...especially if you've got a hot fiddler!
woodshedder

Postby djangology » Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:44 pm

i never get tired of playing "Minor Swing" repeatedly over and over again... the same goes with all the other songs. every time i play them i learn something new. when you are really listening to a tune you will notice how "different" it is every time you play it. if your not listening, it will always sound the same.
djangology

Postby chap » Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:55 pm

Looney Tunes Theme! Very cool. I think I come from a generation where a lot of my first exposure to Jazz was through cartoons. We actually do Some Raymond Scott Quintette stuff and we recently picked up "Skating" by Vince Guaraldi from his Charlie Brown Suite. It is a waltz time tune that works great with our instrumentation. Also do Flintstones.

The Looney tunes theme would be great traveling music to play over the "We're taking a break--tip your waitress--back in a few" announcement. Sure would love to catch your act sometime.

Best,
Chap
chap

Postby djangology » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:28 pm

some of those melodies are great to learn as "cameos" within your solos...
djangology

Postby Thrip » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:33 pm

djangology wrote:some of those melodies are great to learn as "cameos" within your solos...

The original "Star Trek" theme fits over the chords of "Out of Nowhere"!
Thrip

Postby djangology » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:40 pm

the basic "james bond" melody fits perfectly over the intro to "Bossa Dorado" and it sounds phat !
djangology

Postby Cuimean » Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:35 pm

"i never get tired of playing 'Minor Swing' repeatedly over and over again... the same goes with all the other songs. every time i play them i learn something new. when you are really listening to a tune you will notice how 'different' it is every time you play it. if your not listening, it will always sound the same."

For me, "Minor Swing" is like free jazz and the Grateful Dead: great fun for the player, but not so much for the listener. There aren't many recorded versions that I'll listen to repeatedly...the QHCF version and one by Henri Crolla in which he takes an angry little solo are pretty much it. Perhaps Djangology is right and I'm not listening. Or perhaps too many people with nothing to say are playing it.

Here's a little flip: Does anyone here bring Django's material into non-gypsy jazz groups? I heard some excerpts of Romane's new album in which he plays a bunch of Django's songs in a small band with an organist. It's very '60's soul jazz-sounding and a definite departure from what I'm used to hearing.
Cuimean

Return to Tunes