It's driving me crazy!

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

It's driving me crazy!

Postby Guitartech » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:48 pm

Anybody have the chords to ""You're driving me crazy" ? I'm thinking about Djangos version from 1937, and not the Temperence Seven version from the sixties

Cheers

Grahame
Guitartech

Postby Guitartech » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:19 pm

Wot, over 20 views and nobody knows the chords? Are all the steely aces on holiday? :-)

Grahame
Guitartech

Postby stublag » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:42 pm

basic chords something like this

C/C/G7/G7/D7/G7/C/G7/

C/C/G7/G7/D7/G7/C/B7/

E/B7/E/B7/E/B7/E7/G7/

C/C/G7/G7/D7/G7/C/G7/

etc.................................................................................................

nice change to Emaj in the middle 8--wonder whether Django nicked it for Swing '42?

stu
stublag

Postby Guitartech » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:56 am

Thanks a lot mate for the chords, it's one of my favorite songs from Django. I was surprised that they didn't have it over at djangosolos.com, it doesn't seem to be very popular, at least not as popular as other songs.
I love the strum that the rhythm players play, although I'm not good enough yet to play it for any length of time before getting behind the beat. Practice, practice, practice...

Grahame
Guitartech

Postby Joli Gadjo » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:13 pm

Joli Gadjo

Postby stublag » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:55 pm

God save us all from those relentless, unnecessary II V' s.
That's what they call 'over engineering' .....
Keep it nice and simple like Baro Ferret, Marcel Bianchi(and Django) did.
Stu
stublag

Postby Guitartech » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:42 am

Please tell me what you mean with "relentless, unnecessary II V' s". I haven't a clue, and it sounds like something I should definitly know about, it's about time I learnt more theory anyway. I'm ashamed to say I don't even fully understand the chord diagram posted here, what do the boxes with the diagonal lines with two chords mean?
Are those the notes for the bass note that should be played with the chords?
I hope I'm not being too silly here, although being 56 now, I'm not easily embarassed :-)

Grahame (ex-pat. Brit in germany :-) )
Guitartech

Postby stublag » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:09 am

Guitartech wrote:Please tell me what you mean with "relentless, unnecessary II V' s". I haven't a clue, and it sounds like something I should definitly know about, it's about time I learnt more theory anyway. I'm ashamed to say I don't even fully understand the chord diagram posted here, what do the boxes with the diagonal lines with two chords mean?
Are those the notes for the bass note that should be played with the chords?
I hope I'm not being too silly here, although being 56 now, I'm not easily embarassed :-)

Grahame (ex-pat. Brit in germany :-) )

Hi Grahame
Briefly, each note of a scale has a chord built on it.
In the key of Cmajor(as in Driving me crazy) the second note of the Cmajor scale is D and the chord therefore
is D min(or Dmin7)
The fifth note of the Cmaj scale is G so the fifth chord is G7--instead of playing a basic G7 you can replace (or as they say 'substitute') it with Dmin7(II) then G7(V)--its often a good way of making the chord sequence more interesting and modern but,as in the grid example above,its not always a good thing---sometimes,and particularly in the 30s style Django,simple is best i think.
Stu
stublag

Postby Gadjo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:31 pm

Agree totally!

Jorgenson banned minor 7ths in his group. He had a particular aversion to them in Nuages!!

It is worth mentioning however that as a soloist you can use this trick to good effect. If the harmony is the V chord then as a soloist you can treat it as a ll chord. Minorising the dominant as the teachers say. ie the rhythm guitar is playing a G7 and you can play your Dm7 licks all over it. Not too authentic 1930's but Django used it sometimes in his later playing - and Wes did it nearly all the time!
Gadjo

Postby Teddy Dupont » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:47 pm

The right hand is the most important in rhythm playing for this music.
Teddy Dupont

Return to Tunes