What is this tune called? It's driving me maaaad!

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

What is this tune called? It's driving me maaaad!

Postby Guitartech » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:59 pm

Hi all
In this John Jorgenson Vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB2RO7T50ug on youtube he plays a tune to illustrate the "getty chord" as he calls it, coupled with a funny story concerning the Beatles. It's about 5 mins into the video and I'd be greatful if anybody could tell me what it's called, as every time I hear it in the video it stays in my head for a week afterwards!

Grahame
Guitartech

Postby Brett » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:57 pm

It's called "Django's Castle". In French "Manoir de Mes Reves".
Brett

Postby Guitartech » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:59 pm

Thanks a lot for the quick reply, now I can sleep again nights. :-) I think I'll try to work out the chords and see if I can play it, it's a lovely melody.

Grahame
Guitartech

Postby Brett » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:20 pm

Guitartech wrote:.......I think I'll try to work out the chords and see if I can play it, it's a lovely melody......

Chords here
http://emicad.altervista.org/images/man ... _reves.gif
Brett

Postby Guitartech » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:01 pm

Thanks very much for the chords, a shame that my Gitano GJ15 didn't come today, like it was supposed to. Bloody german UPS, they couldn't organize a p*ssup in a brewery. I waited all day at home 'cos they sent me an email saying that they'd be delivering it today, hopefully it'll be here on Monday. In the meantime I'll have to practice on my 5th Avenue acoustic archtop, a nice guitar, but it doesn't have that Selmac tone that I love.

Grahame
Guitartech

Postby Gadjo » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:57 am

Angelo Debarre played one of those Godins in Samois at the unveiling of Django's statue. Sounded OK to me.
Gadjo

Postby Gadjo » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:59 am

I forgot to say Angelo was also a postman so he could probably sort out your delivery problems also!
Gadjo

Postby Guitartech » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:49 am

You've given me an idea: How would the Godin sound with Argentines on it, instead of the flat wound Thomastiks that it has now? I have 2 sets of Argies in the workshop that I bought last week in anticipation of the Cigano coming on Friday, it wouldn't hurt to try them out on the Godin :-) Will let you know.

Grahame
Guitartech

Postby Guitartech » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:45 pm

The Argies have certainly made a big difference, in comparison to the Thomastiks the first thing I noticed was how little tension the Argies have: I had to raise the bridge quite a bit to make them playeable with the Godin.
While the sound isn't as open as I'm hoping the Grand Bouch cigano will be, for gypsy jazz on the Godin they're certainly a big improvement, I can at least imagine what they could sound like if I could play "La Pompe" at anywhere near the right speed. I'm just starting out trying to play gypsy jazz, and feel like a fool 'cos I'm so slow. Imagine JJ Cale jamming with Django and you get the picture :-)

Grahame
Guitartech

Re: What is this tune called? It's driving me maaaad!

Postby kash123 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:21 am

I haaaaaaaate “I Want You (She’s So Heavy)”I hate it hate it hate it hate it. Ugh.
kash123

Postby corbingravely » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:21 am

Is it really the django’s castle? Man, it is damn awesome. I have just started playing it without knowing it. Well this actually rocks. Now I am going to learn to play it fully fledged. Thank you for the info mate.

------------------------------
CORBIN GRAVELY
corbingravely

Postby sam.spoons » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:11 pm

Just in case anybody's interested, the 'Guitarist' Magazine video which appears to include the 'getty' chord item is available here in the UKhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueqOJfv8RHw
sam.spoons

Return to Tunes