La Folle

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

La Folle

Postby Cuimean » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:51 am

Anyone know where I can find chords and / or tab for "La Folle"?
Cuimean

Postby djangology » Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:14 am

yeah, the gypsy jazz chord book #2 that Colin Cosimini is going to release next year, is going to have those chords ( i think ). i could be wrong but you can double check with Colin mabye...
djangology

La Folle or La Foule?

Postby TedGottsegen » Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:25 am

Hi Cuimean,

Which tune are you looking for? People sometimes get these two confused. It you're looking for "La Folle", written by Baro Ferret, you can find it on the Romane CD "Impair et Valse" which is the CD/CD ROM combo where you can print out the charts for all but one tune ("Montagne Ste. Genevieve") on the CD. It also has play-a-long tracks as well. This is a KILLER tune and difficult to play from the rhythm chair, so I can't imagine that the melody is any better. You can order this album painlessly from FNAC -

http://www.fnac.com/Shelf/article.asp?No=6&Mn=12&Mu=&Ra=-28&PRID=771565&To=0&Fr=3&TTL=191120030314&SID=829d6e4b-d06f-792b-b876-5f8eaa605dd8&Origin=FnacAff&UID=0f4efb659-b0fc-3360-dd2b-e449bec38afd

If you're looking for "La Foule" - one of my personal favorites, you'd probably have to order it from someplace in France. but, the melody seems easy enough to learn if you're adept at that sort of thing and the chords are readily available online.

Good Luck!
TedGottsegen

Postby nwilkins » Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:14 pm

There is also a book that goes with the Romane CD - the advantage of the book is that it has chord charts for all the waltzes, inlcuding chord diagrams, in addition to the scores (in notation and tab) that can be printed off the CD.
nwilkins

Postby Cuimean » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:42 pm

Thanks for the tips! It is indeed the Baro Ferret tune I'm looking for. I first heard it on the "Gipsy Jazz School" CD, then ran into a different version on a Baro Ferret album I recently picked up. It's been messing with my head ever since. The rhythm part is bizarre and wonderful; it chugs away like it's in 4/4, unlike most waltzes, which clearly define the "boom-chik-chik" of the 3/4 rhythm. The melody and chord progression also get nice and twisty.

I actually have "Impair & Valse," but had been without a computer with a CD drive for so long that I forgot about those extras. Thanks again for the advice.
Cuimean

Postby justjack » Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:47 pm

nwilkins wrote:There is also a book that goes with the Romane CD - the advantage of the book is that it has chord charts for all the waltzes, inlcuding chord diagrams, in addition to the scores (in notation and tab) that can be printed off the CD.

Is this something you can still get separately from the CD? If so, any idea where I might find it? Thanks.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby djangology » Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:09 pm

no, Romane did a really good job on that CD to protect the sheet music and so they cannot be extracted from the CD, only printed from the original disc on your computer... its a great deal anyways, and every one of us should own that disc...
djangology

Postby TedGottsegen » Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:53 pm

justjack wrote:
nwilkins wrote:There is also a book that goes with the Romane CD - the advantage of the book is that it has chord charts for all the waltzes, inlcuding chord diagrams, in addition to the scores (in notation and tab) that can be printed off the CD.

Is this something you can still get separately from the CD? If so, any idea where I might find it? Thanks.

Yeah, you can get the book Nick mentioned above here http://www.oscarmusic.com/PARTITIONS/partition_fiche.asp?Cliprov=VTNXSOVARRLESDJQHQ20:56:14&REF=10479

Best,

Ted
TedGottsegen

Postby djangology » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:54 pm

wow... I didn't even know that existed... pretty cool. :-)
djangology

Postby justjack » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:11 pm

Agreed. Thanks, Ted. And ol' wilkins, too!
justjack
Mad For It

Postby nwilkins » Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:45 pm

Glad to oblige 8) - I have the book, and it's interesting to see the choice of chord voicings, but they are certainly "non-traditional" and I don't use them very much - if you are looking for some examples of really good waltz rhythm voicings then just learn the chords in the B section of Angelo Valse in the Angelo Debarre/ Sami Daussat book - good bassline throughout.
nwilkins

Postby justjack » Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:06 pm

How do these compare to something like 'Montagne...' in the Cosimini book? I really enjoy playing through those, but I'm not certain how standard they are...
justjack
Mad For It

Postby nwilkins » Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:58 pm

The Cosimini book chords for Montagne are great, and I mix them up with other voicings - often to create a different bassline - often playing waltzes is all about finding chord voicings that allow you to create an interesting bassline - if you look at that B section I was talking about you will see what I mean. One thing you might want to do for Montagne Ste. Genevieve is to lift the last sixteen bars of the A section from Boulou and Elios's version on Django Legacy so you have this bass line:

e,g,e,g,f,e,a,c,a,f#,e,g,f#,b,e,e.

in other words the chords are Em, Em/G, Em, Em/G, Bdim/F, Emaj, Amin, Amin/C, Amin, Amin/F#, Em, Em/G, F#7, B7, Em, Em

A lot of what I know about playing waltz accompaniment I owe to the great Scot Wise - thanks Scot 8)
nwilkins

Postby felixcharlock » Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:54 pm

interesting thoughts re: approaching waltzes from a bassline standpoint, nwilkins. boulou & elios playing montagne is one of my favorite parts of the legacy video. i've got the chords down, but am pretty much clueless on the melody (especially the fast bits...where boulou burns a hole in his fretboard around the 8th fret); do any of you guys know where i can get tab for this? much obliged, jesse
felixcharlock

Postby justjack » Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:18 pm

Many thanks for the ideas, Mr. Wilkins. It's funny-this is sort of the approach I often take (regarding bass movements and inversions) anyway, because there never seems to be enough people here to fill up the space, musically. Thanks again.

Did Scot ever put out the booklet/CD combination I seem to remember reading about here? I'd be interested to hear how it came out. Scot?
justjack
Mad For It

Next

Return to Tunes