Limehouse Blues

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Limehouse Blues

Postby Swing This! » Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:12 pm

Looking for faithful TAB reproduction of Django's classic solo to this tune?

thanks

Phil
Swing This!

Postby djangology » Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:37 pm

there is a tablature here:

http://www.alltabs.com/print/.finycatki ... eblues.htm

also, there is a tablature in the "Django' Definitive Collection" which you can get on EBay... i also have it if you need to borrow it...
djangology

Limehouse Blues

Postby Plowboy » Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:02 am

He actually has at least 2 versions of this--right? The '35 and '36 recordings? Of course, the '36 version being the "inspired one".
Would be interested in a faithful tab repro of that 'un meself.
Plowboy

Re: Limehouse Blues

Postby Teddy Dupont » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:52 am

Plowboy wrote:He actually has at least 2 versions of this--right? The '35 and '36 recordings? Of course, the '36 version being the "inspired one".

There are actually 4 versions including a "live" 1938 recording.
Teddy Dupont

Limehouse Blues

Postby Plowboy » Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:43 am

Is that the audio snippet on the French version of this site? (About-Django is the name I think)--It's a very "inspired" performance, also!

No wait, It a '36 model--just checked :oops:
Plowboy

Postby Teddy Dupont » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:42 am

Plowboy wrote:It's a very "inspired" performance, also!

He obviously really liked this tune. His solo on the Django's Music version is also inspired and quite different. However, from what I have been reading on Yahoo, many of you will not like this version as it includes alien bodies like horns and wind instruments! :shock: :shock: - Instruments that Django himself loved.

The audio quality of the 1938 version is terrible as it is taken from an acetate made at the concert. But, beneath the crackling, it does show just how superb the HCQ was "live" displaying endless creativity, enormous power, total authority and absolute cohesion. Much copied - never equalled
Teddy Dupont

Postby TedGottsegen » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:52 pm

Teddy,

Teddy Dupont wrote:But, beneath the crackling, it does show just how superb the HCQ was "live" displaying endless creativity, enormous power, total authority and absolute cohesion. Much copied - never equalled

Never equalled is right. A friend played some live recordings from the Club Ste Germaine (I think) club circa 1951 and his played was simple awesome. Do you know if there are any other recordings, either public of private, of Django doing even slightly extended soloing?

Also, do you know if there are is any audio to accompany the pictures (from Delauney) of Django playing with Dizzy Gillespie's group?

Best,

Ted
TedGottsegen

Postby Plowboy » Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:11 am

Teddy Dupont wrote: He obviously really liked this tune.

No doubt he did. I really love it, too. Don't have the Rosemary Clooney version but I got a Mills Brothers version that really jumps. The words are somewhat offensive but it's such a swingin' tune.

Would like to see one of Django's solos tabbed to sorta pick up a lick or two for my "uninspired" stab at it.
Plowboy

Postby Teddy Dupont » Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:48 pm

TedGottsegen wrote: A friend played some live recordings from the Club Ste Germaine (I think) club circa 1951 and his played was simple awesome.

These "live" February, 1951 recordings from the "Club Saint Germain des Pres" certainly show Django in great form and yet, at a this time, his playing was very much out of favour.

TedGottsegen wrote: Do you know if there are any other recordings, either public of private, of Django doing even slightly extended soloing?

I think the only recorded "live" performance not included to date in the Fremeaux series is "Pour Que Ma Vie Demeure" from '47/48.

Yet to come are the big band "Jazz Varietes" concert peformances from late '52, early '53 - "Yesterdays", "Lover" etc. Django plays several extended solos here and is generally on good form although in some sections he does seem to be going through the motions rather than performing in a particularly inspired manner. To me, the most negative feature is the heavy, clumsy big band arrangements which detract from the overall effect and perhaps had an adverse impact on Django's playing.

The solo versions of "Nuages" (in Michael's "Unaccompanied Django") and "Belleville" are, of course, the most extended recordings ever made by Reinhardt.

There are many claims of other Reinhardt recordings never officially issued but I have only quoted tracks I know for sure exist. If anyone has any other information, I would be very pleased to hear from them.

TedGottsegen wrote: Also, do you know if there are is any audio to accompany the pictures (from Delauney) of Django playing with Dizzy Gillespie's group?

Unfortunately nothing exists unless some priceless tapes are hidden away in an attic somewhere.
Teddy Dupont

Postby nwilkins » Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:57 pm

Exactly how much stuff will not be included in the Fremeaux Integrale Series? And, is any of it available elsewhere?
nwilkins

Postby Teddy Dupont » Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:05 am

nwilkins wrote: Exactly how much stuff will not be included in the Fremeaux Integrale Series?

I understand the last CD of the series will contain everything that Daniel Nevers has omitted.....and hopefully some things we do not know about.

nwilkins wrote: And, is any of it available elsewhere?

Most of it can be found elsewhere on diverse CDs but some of these are extremely difficult to locate. I think a couple of the big band tracks I mentioned can still only be found on a La Roulette LP.
Teddy Dupont

Postby nwilkins » Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:49 am

While we're on the subject of Django recordings, I have heard that the Mosaic albums have the best sound quality. I have always found that records of Django sound much better generally than anything that has been put on CD, but I haven't heard the Mosaic set. Anyone given it a listen?
nwilkins

Return to Tunes