cool edit pro2 for transcriptions

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

cool edit pro2 for transcriptions

Postby Tak » Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:36 pm

:shock

Hello all ,
I am currently using cool edit pro2 for transcribing and generally just slow the file down by put it to 45 to 60% ,
does anyone else have any ideas I getting better results from transcribing with CEP2 ,
and how much better if they are , are the other programs on the market for transcribing ,
thanks Tak:
Tak

Postby djangology » Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:46 pm

dont use Cool Edit any more... we have all moved to using Transcribe... :-)

http://www.seventhstring.demon.co.uk

its way easier to use... and best of all, it also works on MP3 files...
djangology

Postby Tak » Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:26 pm

cheers , I would look at Transcribe :lol: ,

How is it better that the old CEP2 , any tips on using it, I am always slow at this stuff,
thanks Tas
Tak

Postby djangology » Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:17 pm

its far more intuitive to use than Cool Edit. it also starts up MUCH faster and it lacks all of the features that you do not need when merely figuring out licks from tunes... you will have a much easier time of figuring out how to use this program... so no worries... :-)
djangology

Postby Zoot » Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:05 pm

Cool Edit Pro 2 (Just rolls off the tounge that one) is a cracker of an app and most of the sound files on this site have been munched through it in some form or other. However if all you want to do is slow a tune down then grab a copy of transcribe as it's just a click away.

Z
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Zoot
Site Admin

Postby justjack » Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:34 am

From Zoot: "However if all you want to do is slow a tune down then grab a copy of transcribe as it's just a click away."

I just started using transcribe, and this is about all I use it for, but was wondering if anyone uses the spectrum analysis with any regularity or success. Seems more trouble than it's worth, often. Or is it just me?
justjack
Mad For It

Postby Manouche » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:50 pm

I don't want to sound too much like a techno nerd but spectrum analysis by DFFT (Discrete Fast Fourier Transform -oops failed already 8) ) is notoriously difficult to implement for this app. All sorts of artefacts are introduced by the sample length and window weighting to name just two of the better known effects. It just shows what an amazing job the human ear does with a few hairs and some ear-wax :shock: Transcribe does about as good a job as is possible with software and is actually very useful to determine exactly which inversion of a cleanly struck chord is being played,- I wouldn?t be without it. As for passing notes -forget it.
BTW plectrum analysis is trivially processed by Yahoo. :wink:
Manouche

Return to Tunes