Sweet And Lowdown

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Sweet And Lowdown

Postby MagicWindow » Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:31 pm

I guess most of you have seen this movie. It's bloody brilliant if you ask me; here's a summary:

http://www.haro-online.com/movies/sweet ... wdown.html

Anyway, I loved the solo peices that are performed in that film, especially the peice on the night he meets Hattie; I was dissapointed that they weren't included on the official soundtrack (which does a cracking version of Sweet Georgia Brown).

Anyone know if these are actual songs composed for the film, or belong to others? I'd love to find some tabs / chord grilles e.t.c
MagicWindow

Postby djangology » Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:12 pm

i spent hours watching the film, slowing it down frame by frame, trying to figure out how Sean Penn plays like that! its crazy! the arpeggios he does are pure magic. in my opinion, his playing is untouchable! also, he always has a smile on his face, and thats fun!
djangology

Postby MagicWindow » Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:21 pm

He was miming the actions, really. You can tell, especially in the first performance.

Howard Alden is actually playing the guitar you hear, but I bet he doesn't pull off a face as classic as Penn's.
MagicWindow

Postby justjack » Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:43 am

"Howard Alden is actually playing the guitar you hear, but I bet he doesn't pull off a face as classic as Penn's."

Perhaps more importantly, who stood in for Django in the car crash scene?
I seem to remember really liking the 'first night' piece as well (he's on the bed, she cries-is that right?); I'll have to go back and see if I recognize it now that I know a bit more. More to come.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby Thrip » Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:12 am

That tune he plays on the bed is "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" I think.

Djangology was joking, by the way.
Thrip

Postby Zoot » Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:32 pm

He was miming the actions, really. You can tell, especially in the first performance.

Really. :roll:

Magic, did you not hear the wizz of sarcasm as it zapped over your head?

Great film. And for all it's faults will be a favorite of mine for a while yet me thinks.
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Zoot
Site Admin

Postby O.K. YAR » Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:24 pm

That tune he plays on the bed is "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" I think.

Don't like that song. I prefer 'You'll never walk alone'

Where's me rattle.............. :?
I'VE GOT A LITTLE BLACK BOOK WITH ME POEMS IN...............
O.K. YAR

Postby Cuimean » Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:02 pm

I'm partial to the first piece the Sean Penn character plays. It's a really nice solo version of Lucienne Boyer's "Parlez-Moi d'Amour." It was also left off the soundtrack for some reason.

That same song was also featured in a very funny film called The Imposters that was released shortly before Sweet and Lowdown. It's very much in a 1930's/Marx Bros. vein, and it features some great music...a bunch of tango, Eddie Condon, Louis Armstrong, Sidney Bechet, and a suicidal Steve Buscemi trying to sing "The Nearness of You."
Cuimean

Postby MagicWindow » Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:13 pm

Zoot wrote:

Really. :roll:

Magic, did you not hear the wizz of sarcasm as it zapped over your head?

Great film. And for all it's faults will be a favorite of mine for a while yet me thinks.

There was nothing in his post to indicate sarcasm, to be honest. There are lots of people who have said exactly what he said, even guitar players, before, so unless HE gives me reason to think otherwise, I'll assume he's being serious.

Get off your pedestals, honestly.
MagicWindow

Postby djangology » Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:19 pm

sorry about that... i was just trying to be funny and it was left wide open. at the expense of trying to compete with the British sense of humor, it seems that I have failed once again! :-) To tell you the truth, i'm not even sure if Emmet Ray exists at this point! LOL

I do remember that at the end of that movie Woody listed about 6 tunes that were particularly attributed to Emmet Ray? Are these correct or is it fictional that he recorded versions of these? Personally, the first two in this list are extra special. :-)

I'll See You In My Dreams by Isham Jones?
My Melancholy Baby by Ernie Burnett?
I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
Exactly Like You
Unfaithful Woman
Dancing In The Dark
djangology

Postby nwilkins » Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:55 pm

MagicWindow wrote:There was nothing in his post to indicate sarcasm, to be honest. There are lots of people who have said exactly what he said, even guitar players, before, so unless HE gives me reason to think otherwise, I'll assume he's being serious.

Get off your pedestals, honestly.

Most of the time when people miss GLARING sarcasm completely they find it funny and are fine with people pointing it out. It takes a special kind of prick to get indignant over it :roll:
nwilkins

Postby nwilkins » Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:57 pm

djangology wrote:To tell you the truth, i'm not even sure if Emmet Ray exists at this point!

I do remember that at the end of that movie Woody listed about 6 tunes that were particularly attributed to Emmet Ray? Are these correct or is it fictional that he recorded versions of these?

Are you trying sarcasm again?
nwilkins

Postby djangology » Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:12 pm

:P Well, if you can imagine the crippled state of my sense of humor then you can also imagine my crippled playing style. :-)

I was actually being serious in my comment about not knowing if Emmet Ray "actually" existed... I feel like Woody Allen is pulling a fast one on me. :lol:
Last edited by djangology on Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
djangology

Postby Jan Primus » Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:12 pm

nwilkins wrote: It takes a special kind of prick to get indignant over it :roll:

And a real special one to get indignant over the indignant one. hehehe :twisted:
Jan Primus

Postby djangology » Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:15 pm

Well, nothing could possibly get moi angry right now (not that I would have any need to be either). I actually played out live, in a pub, last night for my first time. It was joyous! This is a good day. :-)
djangology

Next

Return to Tunes