Tune Provenance

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Tune Provenance

Postby chap » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:28 pm

I think it would be cool to start a thread about song history for the repetoire of this genre. Would be a good resource for gigging musicians who want to be able to say something between tunes about the tunes they are playing. For instance it was cool for me to know who the Ike of Blues for Ike was, and I found that out here.

To that end--

Why is Danube also called Anniversary song? What is the history there?

I am also curious about Mike/Micro. Does it celebrate microphones or is it about a midget?

Was there an actual Sweet Sue? Cute little girl? Popular whore?

What the hell is a Beguine?

St Germain Des Pres--what is that? A club? A town? What was special about nights there?

I think it would also be cool to know what a typical set list was like for Django. How long? Did he mix it up? Was there a fast set and a slow set? Anyone have actual setlists?
chap

Postby nwilkins » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:08 pm

Anniversary Song was based on one section of a piece of music called "Les flots de Danube" whch I believe was in turn based on a Russian folk melody.

Micro is about a microphone.

Beguine is an American version of beguin which means flirtation in French. It is aalso the name of a dance.

Saint Germain des Pres is the name of an area in Paris which housed a club of the same name. Django did a stint there in the early 50s, playing nights. The club was the home of bebop in Paris.
nwilkins

Postby djangology » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:09 pm

Why is Joseph, Joseph sometimes called Petriarka ?
djangology

Postby chap » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:26 pm

Thanks--Great info.
chap

Postby François RAVEZ » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:57 pm

Hi, according to the music sheet of Anniversary Song that I have (with french lyrics and called Cher Souvenir) the theme was written by Ivanovici and appeared in the movie "The Jolson Story'. It has english lyrics (that I don't have) and music by Al Jolson and Saul Chaplin.

Best

François RAVEZ
François RAVEZ

Postby chap » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:52 pm

Ok so was it some special microphone? Was there a story? Or was it a case of "we need a name for that last track, Django" He looks around the studio. . . . "uh Mike".

R-Vingt-six. . . that is R26 right? Is that the precursor to RU 486, the morning after pill? Django, you devil.

Just got back from the studio. We recorded Dinette, and Si Tu Savais. Fun tunes.
chap

Postby nwilkins » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:09 am

the "mic" that Micro was named for was no doubt Django's pickup - his Stimer!
nwilkins

Postby emicad » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:31 am

Wow guys! Continue with this, it's very very interesting! Thank you to all for the informations.
Hi Francois :wink:
emicad

Postby Mobreau » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:20 pm

What about "Ultrafox" ? I'd love to think its means what it states.
Mobreau

Postby chap » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:45 pm

I honestly have never considered the fact that that tune seems like Terry Southern era sixties slang used MUCH earlier.
chap

Postby Thrip » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:26 pm

Mobreau wrote:What about "Ultrafox" ? I'd love to think its means what it states.

Sadly not, it was named for the record label they where recording for at the time.
Thrip

Postby Mobreau » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:04 pm

:(
Mobreau

Postby emicad » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:39 pm

Ok guys i have some questions unanswered...

Why "anniversary" song? anniversary of what? something related to Ivanovici?
why "sweet sue"?
why "twelfth year"?
who was "dinah"?
and "ike"?
what's the meaning of "appel direct"?

i have more but it's all for today i don't want to stress anyone, sorry if there are some things already posted, i know but i'm lazy!
:lol:
thank you guys
emicad

My Sweet -- Louis Armstrong version

Postby radiotone » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:03 pm

I found a clip of Louis Armstrong playing Hoagy Carmichael's "My Sweet," and it sounds like it's the same tune that Django recorded. It's on, among other releases, the "Portrait of the Artist..." boxed set:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clips ... 11-8286320

Does anyone have the provenance of "Hungaria" handy?

also, for the record, Blue Drag is evidently by Fletcher Allen, Billets Doux has been covered elsewhere on this site as being by Maurice Yvain, and I can't tell any difference between Artillery Lourde and Tuxedo Junction. (Sorry to duplicate part of a post on Gypsy Jazz for Rookies/Which boxed set thread.)

Cheers,

Neil
radiotone

Postby chap » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:29 pm

I don't mean to pull a random bump, but this is one of my favorite all tim threads on this board, and as we have so many new board members since this was last updated, I wonder if anyone has anything to offer.

I did learn from the Dregni book that Bricktop was a red headed gal who was up for it known to many in the neighborhood. delightful!!!
chap

Next

Return to Tunes