I can't get me anything in the right key

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

I can't get me anything in the right key

Postby fmason » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:19 am

Hey folks, I notice Bireli plays "I Can't Give You Anything but Love" in F on the Gypsy Project DVD, gadjodrom says play it in G, does anyone know which key is more common for jamming?
fmason

Postby lnb » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:57 am

G
lnb

Postby nwilkins » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:01 pm

yeah, probably G, but it is good to know it in F too, just like Nuages :)
nwilkins

Postby justjack » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:26 am

nwilkins wrote:yeah, probably G, but it is good to know it in F too, just like Nuages :)

I've got a bandmate who's convinced Nuages is "R sharp". If you've got the time and inclination, it's a good idea to learn how to transpose on the fly; with this stuff it seems much easier than a lot of other styles (i.e., you're dealing with closed chords and changes that can be thought of numerically-I/vi/ii/V, etc.). Oddly enough, I was playing along with the Bireli DVD today, and had to do just that for '...Anything but Love'. Another one to keep an eye out for is 'Si Tu Savais' which both gadjodrom and Cosimini have in Cm but which is commonly played in Bm. In fact, I think it's Bm on the DVD as well.

In summation: G.

Best,
Jack.
justjack
Mad For It

Good Point

Postby fmason » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:51 am

justjack wrote: If you've got the time and inclination, it's a good idea to learn how to transpose on the fly; with this stuff it seems much easier than a lot of other styles (i.e., you're dealing with closed chords and changes that can be thought of numerically-I/vi/ii/V, etc.).

Yeh you're right it actually is quite easy to play that particular song in F, G, or even Ab for that matter. I think when you have a logical movement like this song does it's fairly easy. Often times just cycling through the 5ths (or is it tiptoeing?) is pretty easy too as long as you don't "run out of room" (sh*t, where is Eb again!?).

I play with a sax player a lot and I transpose a lot of stuff up 3 semitones, and he does the opposite. On the fly it can be a bit more challenging than a full step, the main thing I do is try to FORGET what key I am in, after all, guitar is a stringed instrument...

As an aside, a guitar builder friend maintains that every key on guitar has a distinctive tonal color. He says guitar tops are tuned so that the bad harmonics (wolf tones?) will occur most likely in Db, one of the least common keys for guitar.
fmason

Return to Tunes