Swing soundtrack help 2

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Swing soundtrack help 2

Postby emicad » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:17 pm

Anyone knows the title of the solo piece played by Tchavolo in the bar? The famous scene...i know you know! i don't know if arc-en-ciel or reve de swing or another maybe...i don't know.
Another thing, whatìs the name of the blond violonist playing in duo with tchavolo on the billiard table? if anyone can tell me the name of the girl and the name of the song (i'm going mad) please tell me something, i want to play that piece but i have nothing.
Thank you
emicad

Postby ramsezaz » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:26 pm

The name of the solo piece played by Tchavolo in the restaurant is Arc en ciel.But on the Swing soundtrack cd it is played with other instruments. And beware, thought they have the same name, it has nothing to do with romane's Arc en ciel on l'Esprit Manouche.
"Free your mind, and your ass will follow" © George Clinton
ramsezaz

Postby emicad » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:41 pm

ramsezaz wrote:The name of the solo piece played by Tchavolo in the restaurant is Arc en ciel.But on the Swing soundtrack cd it is played with other instruments. And beware, thought they have the same name, it has nothing to do with romane's Arc en ciel on l'Esprit Manouche.

Thanks, and what about the blond girl?
emicad

Postby ramsezaz » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:25 pm

I think she's Caroline Stenger but i'm not sure.
There was a thread on Gadjodrom talking about her, but i can't find it anymore... :roll:
"Free your mind, and your ass will follow" © George Clinton
ramsezaz

Postby Paganini » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:11 pm

I saw the film for the first time last sunday, it was on Dutch television, I thought it was great! I was actualy surprised by the traditional gypsy-music that was heard at the moment that al the women were singing. It sounded very different from the traditional gypsymusic that I have on cd's at home. More Arabic influenced or maybe jewish? I am comparing this with for example the traditional gypsy songs on Angelo's first album for hotclub records. Where do these differences come from or does it the depend on the part in Europe where the gypsies live? anyone?
Paganini

Postby justjack » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:32 pm

I think a great deal of has to do with where they came to settle; once based in a certain region (be it Spain, or Romania, or wherever) the local music was absorbed into the gypsy tradition, so that what you come to recognize as 'gypsy' is really how the music is played as much as the music itself, which may have a whole other provenance. A gross simplification, but maybe a start.

Best,
Jack.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby stoche » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:03 am

Right!
The beautiful film "Latcho Drom" from the same Tony Gatlif shows exactly what you're talking about.... Without any speech but with a lot of gypsy music (actually the proper term would be Rom), it describes a journey across the music of Rom from India, through Egypt, Turkey, Romania, Hungary to Spain and France (here with Tchavolo and Dorado...!). In each country you understand how the rom picked up some local influences to create their own music.
It's probably the best film from Gatlif, and a great one about Music. Sure lot of you know it already!

Happy New Year!
stoche
stoche

Postby Rene » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:20 am

I thought the Hymn to Peace was expressly about finding the links between different cultures - hence the different soloists, the Arabic bit, the Rom, bit, the Swing bit and even the Tumbalalaika Russian/Jewish bit.
Rene

Return to Tunes