Anouman / Blue In Green

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Anouman / Blue In Green

Postby Swing This! » Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:05 pm

interesting the strong resemblence between these two great tunes? Which one came first and who was listening to who?!
Swing This!

Postby Meshugy » Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:02 pm

Hi Phil,

Yes, I've always noticed the similarity. I actually use Bill Evans' piano intro from Blue Green as an intro for Anouman. They're so close harmonicly...it's weird. Especially since Blue and Green was recorded almost 10 years later. And that style of harmony is characteristic of Bill Evans. So it would seem that Django stumbled upon that style of harmony before Evans. However, my guess is that they were both inspired by a classical composer who used those types of ideas. Can't think of who though...need to look into it! Maybe Debussy?

-Michael

DjangoBooks.com
Meshugy

Postby stublag » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:53 pm

Meshugy wrote:Hi Phil,

Yes, I've always noticed the similarity. I actually use Bill Evans' piano intro from Blue Green as an intro for Anouman. They're so close harmonicly...it's weird. Especially since Blue and Green was recorded almost 10 years later. And that style of harmony is characteristic of Bill Evans. So it would seem that Django stumbled upon that style of harmony before Evans. However, my guess is that they were both inspired by a classical composer who used those types of ideas. Can't think of who though...need to look into it! Maybe Debussy?

-Michael

DjangoBooks.com

Yes--
It shows an even stronger similarity to Woody Herman's "Early Autumn"(made famous by Stan Getz)
which predates Anouman by a couple of years i think(unlike Blue in Green which obviously post dates Anouman)
Stu
stublag

Postby Swing This! » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:46 pm

I actually use Bill Evans' piano intro from Blue Green as an intro for Anouman.

Michael, great idea: I was thinking there must be some way to blend the two, or reference the other.

cheers

Phil
Swing This!

Return to Tunes