si tu savais

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

si tu savais

Postby mitch251 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:14 pm

Does any one know where I can get the sheet music for Si Tu Savais?

Thanks In advance
Tom
mitch251

Postby justjack » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:04 pm

Try this:

http://www.gadjodrom.com/trans/trans_img.php?id=172

(Edit: I just took a closer look and realized it's actually a Bireli chorus someone transcribed off the Gypsy Project album. Still, worth looking into.)

Best,
Jack.
justjack
Mad For It

si tu savais

Postby mitch251 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:40 pm

Thanks Jack
I am trying to understand the chords and was hoping to see the actual melody . I have been listening to Djangos version but I have heard
Birelli's is great as well. definitley worth checking out. What are your thoughts on the chords? The ones that I have seen are a little suspect.
Thanks again
Tom
mitch251

Postby justjack » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:46 pm

I'll have to go and have a listen to really weigh in with any confidence, but I can say that I often start with Colin's changes and go from there. His are very similar to the gadjodrom chart:
http://www.gadjodrom.com/grille.php3?tune=situsavais

If you think it sounds a bit off, try changing your voicings, and consider things like the Cdim they use. You could call it Adim as well, which means you could consider it a sub for an Ab7. In other words, you can replace it without messing up the harmony too much.

Hope that helps. I'll check back after a good listen.

Best,
Jack.
justjack
Mad For It

si tu savais

Postby mitch251 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:58 pm

Hi Jack
I know what you mean Cdim could be A dim could be Ab7b9 I often interchange those kind of chords and it works great but I wonder if
the harmony should realy just stay on the Cmin esp. in that first ending.
Also I wonder about the 2nd chord in the tune. the Birelli version you showed me(although in Bmin) has the 2nd chord as what could be a 5 chord once
you move it around a bit That seems ok . Thats whyI hope someone will come up with a lead sheet, Dont you just love ambiguity

I will listen some more thanks
Tom
mitch251

Re: si tu savais

Postby justjack » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:07 am

mitch251 wrote:Hi Jack
I know what you mean Cdim could be A dim could be Ab7b9 I often interchange those kind of chords and it works great but I wonder if
the harmony should realy just stay on the Cmin esp. in that first ending.
Also I wonder about the 2nd chord in the tune. the Birelli version you showed me(although in Bmin) has the 2nd chord as what could be a 5 chord once
you move it around a bit That seems ok . Thats whyI hope someone will come up with a lead sheet, Dont you just love ambiguity

I will listen some more thanks
Tom

If by first ending you mean the eighth bar, I like to hear some movement to set up the return to Cm in bar 9. Maybe you could try something like this, starting at bar 7 (on the gadjodrom grille): Cm Ab7 | Cm Ab7 | G7 |.

The second chord (Fm6 on the grille) sounds good to my ears (admittedly not the best, but they're all I've got) played like this:

-x
-x

Mixed with a straight ahead barred Cm at the third fret is what I was doing tonight. Like you say, with some creative interpretation you can work you're way to the five chord, but it seems good as is to me. And yes, you've gotta love ambiguity, especially for jazz.

Best,
Jack.
justjack
Mad For It

Si Tu Savais

Postby mitch251 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:09 am

Thanks Again Jack
I'll keep working on it . Let me know if you get any bright ideas,
I will do the same .

Cheers
Tom
mitch251

Postby justjack » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:37 pm

One more thing: It's up on the nuagesdeswing site, and in the right key (Bm). Here's their grille-
http://nuagesdeswing.free.fr/jouer/si_tu_savais.html
And once again, if anyone hasn't checked out this site, do not pass go, etc. Head on over, check out the rhythm backing tracks, and break out your guitar. A godsend for those of us in Django-deficient areas of the world.
justjack
Mad For It

Return to Tunes