Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Postby justjack » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:06 am

Hi, all.

A bandmate is interested in doing this after hearing the Nolans version; I don't suppose anyone has a decent chord chart?

Thanks,
Jack.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby djangology » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:43 am

yeah, someone pulled that song out of the hat at the last jam i was at. it has a pretty cool melody. i wonder where a chord chart is?
djangology

Postby kcox » Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:43 pm

There is Gadjo Playboys version available somewhere on the net. Maybe one of those Virtual Gitan demo sites?

Kevin
c'est chaud!!!!!!!
kcox

Postby justjack » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:23 pm

There's a version here, but I'm not crazy about it.
http://www.theguitarguy.com/boulevar.htm
justjack
Mad For It

Postby Teddy Dupont » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:53 pm

justjack wrote:There's a version here, but I'm not crazy about it.
http://www.theguitarguy.com/boulevar.htm

I haven't looked at the above but try this:-

A || Dm Em7b5 / Dm / Gm6 Bb7/ A7 Em7b5 / - / A7/ Dm Eb9 / Dm A9b /
A || - / - / - / - / - / - / Dm Gm / Dm D7 /
B || Am7b5 / D7/ Gm Gmaj7/ Gm7 C7/ Gm7b5 / C7/ Fmaj7 Bbmaj7/ Em7b5 A9b /
A || - / - / - / - / - / - / - / Dm /
Teddy Dupont

Postby justjack » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:58 pm

Thanks, Teddy; I'll give it a whirl.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby Teddy Dupont » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:23 am

justjack wrote:Thanks, Teddy; I'll give it a whirl.

Unfortunately, I could not remember what the melody was so I was unable to check whether they were a good fit. :?
Teddy Dupont

Postby DKP » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:50 pm

Jack-it may just be me, but I have run into a lot of problems as far as using the chords on that web-site you mentioned. I have a chart "somewhere" on the tune that is accurate. Diana Krall recorded it on her first, I think, CD with Russell Malone & etc. E-mail me your address & I'll see if I can find it & snail mail it to you.
DKP

Postby justjack » Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:58 pm

It's most definitely not just you. This might help explain a bit of it-I stumbled onto it on his 'Chords Used' page:

As I mention on the home page of this site, my diminished chords are usually mis-named in all of these charts. Here's why: diminished chords (specifically, diminished 7th chords if you want to split hairs) are all made up of four tones, each three half-steps apart on the piano keyboard. Since they are equally spaced from each other, the actual root name for that chord depends on function in the melody. The formation I refer to as Cdim, formed as 001212 on the fretboard, is played exactly the same, whether it is functioning as a Cdim, as an E-flat diminished, as F# diminished, or as Adim.
Because it is played the same, and sounds the same, regardless of what function it is serving, I always call that formation the same thing in these charts. Why? One word: Simplicity. Why use -- and have to remember -- four different names for one formation, when it's going to sound the same regardless of what function it serves or what you call it?

The truth is, I don't know what function a given chord serves, and I don't care. I care only about the sound. If you want to know what the chord actually is, I'd suggest finding a theory book that can explain them -- and consult it any time one of my charts has a chord with the letters "dim" in it.

Sorry for the length; just thought others should know if they're checking his page for charts. I'll get you my address, though, and thanks.

Jack.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby bwilkins » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:11 pm

Yep, isn't that a great tune! I worked it out - very basic chords - last year to bring it to the buddies at our monthly music night and it's been poplular ever since.

BW
bwilkins

Postby justjack » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:37 pm

Pray, tell. What are you guys using?
justjack
Mad For It

Postby bwilkins » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:42 am

Jack, I am not very good at figuring out chords by ear. So it's your basic minor changes we are using: Cm - G7; up to C7 - F7 - Bb7 - G7 for the B section.

The old buddy I get to play this stuff with has to have things simple, using only the simplest of barre chords. Nothing even close to the gypsy sounds we love. But he is the only one around with whom I ever get to play any of the the ol' time jazzy standards. (Man! does it get lonely up here for a Djangophile......)

BW
bwilkins

Postby justjack » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:50 am

I know what you mean; eventually I had to convert some friends just to get a trio going. The beauty part, though, is that people just get hooked after that first taste. Good luck with the prosletyzing, and thanks for the chords. (If you're ever in western Mass, let me know ahead of time, and we can set up a jam. Always glad to meet other maniacs trying to play this stuff.)

Best,
Jack.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby DKP » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:47 am

Jack-found my old lead sheet on this tune & a buddy of mine is sending me a better one. At least I hope its' better. Soon as I get mine copied & his gets here, will stick them in an envelope heading your way. Playing any of these types of tunes makes you sympathize with the Maytag repairman. I have been working up an arrangement of a tune to use behind a vocalist a la Johnny Smith....gets frustrating when the players are more interested in "simplifying" your hard work than listening to the chords & passing tones. Besides our usual vocalist(male), we found a lady that is in her late 50's & a widow.....she is wanting to get back to working in a small group & has a voice. She flipped out over the CD I played her of Beryl Davis singing 'Undecided' with Django & Stephane. May get to dust off a few more oldies but goodies this fall. Our first run through of her singing 'I'm Confessin' bout brought tears to my eyes. Nights like that make me happy to be a sideman.
DKP

Return to Tunes