Stardust

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Stardust

Postby justjack » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:47 am

Gang,

Regarding this great Hoagy tune: if anyone's had experience playing it at Samois, or L'Esprit, or DFNW, etc., I wonder-are there are more or less standard changes for the gypsy jazz crowd? It seems like one of those tunes that everyone plays just differently enough to louse it up (i.e., someone's on a maj 7 while someone else is on a 6/9, etc.).

All horror stories welcome.
User avatar
justjack
Mad For It
 
Posts: 1855
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:40 pm
Location: Western Mass

Postby Northern-Neil » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:07 am

I think a M9 chord would work best in this instance.
...Eh up, Djangologists!
User avatar
Northern-Neil
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:29 pm
Location: Lancashire

Postby Justin » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:04 pm

Where do you use a major 7 in Stardust? Maybe I just learned it differently, but I never ever play maj 7 chords and Stardust sounds great with m6, 6/9 and 9 chords... maybe you could do a simple substitution?
User avatar
Justin
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:58 am
Location: Suresnes

Postby justjack » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:17 pm

Justin wrote:Where do you use a major 7 in Stardust? Maybe I just learned it differently, but I never ever play maj 7 chords and Stardust sounds great with m6, 6/9 and 9 chords... maybe you could do a simple substitution?


I don't use 'em either-I'm trying to get everyone else to stop playing them! I do see them in a lot of transcriptions, though. I think it really depends on the era of the sheet music and the type of band playing it.
User avatar
justjack
Mad For It
 
Posts: 1855
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:40 pm
Location: Western Mass

Postby RICK-D15 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:49 pm

Great song! I especially like Coltrane's rendition.
"It's all one big note" - Frank Zappa
RICK-D15
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon May 17, 2004 4:02 pm

Postby Campus Five » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:00 am

In swing and hot jazz (ie pre-bop) you'll never see major7th chords - any major chord is automatically assumed to be a 6th. Same thing with minor chords - any minor chord is automatically a min6, unless its part of a ii7-V, which are basically only for cadences in swing or hot jazz. In bebop, they added as many ii-Vs as you could.
I guess you'd just need to get a read on who you're playing with. If they're using maj7ths they either don't understand the era, or are deliberately playing in a later style.
User avatar
Campus Five
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Postby djangology » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:12 am

for myself, I think the first few chords, in the key of F, are: F6/9, Am6, Fm6, C6/9, Em7, A7, Dm6, A7 .... notice the careful use of ii7-V (Em7 --> A7 in the key of D) just as CampusFive suggests might happen... hmmm...
User avatar
djangology
 
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:52 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA

Postby justjack » Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:59 am

Nice to see old topics never die.

Since it's been Lazarused, let's go back to the first question, which hasn't been answered:

justjack wrote:if anyone's had experience playing it at Samois, or L'Esprit, or DFNW, etc., I wonder-are there are more or less standard changes for the gypsy jazz crowd?


As for the whole sixth chord notion, I'm of the same mind:

justjack wrote:
Justin wrote:Where do you use a major 7 in Stardust? Maybe I just learned it differently, but I never ever play maj 7 chords and Stardust sounds great with m6, 6/9 and 9 chords... maybe you could do a simple substitution?


I don't use 'em either-I'm trying to get everyone else to stop playing them! I do see them in a lot of transcriptions, though. I think it really depends on the era of the sheet music and the type of band playing it.


So, if anyone's got more or less standard campfire changes, I'd still be glad to hear them.

Thanks,
Jack.
User avatar
justjack
Mad For It
 
Posts: 1855
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:40 pm
Location: Western Mass

Postby djangology » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:46 pm

here are my changes:

| F6/9 | F6/9 | Am | Fm6 | C6/9 | Em7 - A7 | Dm6 - A7 | Dm6 |
| G7 | G7 - B7 | C6/9 | C6/9 | D7 | D7 | G7 - F#7 | G7 - C7 |

| F6/9 | F6/9 | Am | Fm6 | C6/9 | Em7 - A7 | Dm6 - A7 | Dm6 |
| F6/9 | Fm6 | C6/9 - Am6 | B7 - E7 | F6/9 - A7 | D7 - G7 | C6/9 - Fm6 | C6/9 - C7 |


i would love to hear anyones variation on this, or some chords for a good introduction to the tune...
User avatar
djangology
 
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:52 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA

Postby justjack » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:49 pm

One idea would be to simply play the 16 bar verse. Most of what we play now as 'standards' are only the chorus of the tune. I'll dig around for the chords. Or you could try the lyrics a capella:

And now the purple dusk of twilight time
Steals across the meadows of my heart
High up in the sky the little stars climb
Always reminding me that we're apart
You wander down the lane and far away
Leaving me a song that will not die
Love is now the stardust of yesterday
The music of the years gone by

-But please don't. I'll keep looking for those chords.
Best,
Jack.
User avatar
justjack
Mad For It
 
Posts: 1855
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:40 pm
Location: Western Mass


Return to Tunes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron