tchavolo tunes

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

tchavolo tunes

Postby rythmes_gitanes » Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:28 am

does anyone have any chard from tchavolo's cd "alors..volia!". especially lyola. this cd is so amazing , any help? thanks.
rythmes_gitanes

Postby justjack » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:23 am

Thought I had it, but I can't seem to find it. In the meantime, there's this:

Alors?...Voila!
http://www.gadjodrom.com/trans/trans_img.php?id=196
http://www.gadjodrom.com/trans/trans_img.php?id=38

I might also have a chart for Esprit kicking around; I lent out my fake book, though, so it'll probably be awhile. J'Attendrai, All of Me, and It Had to Be You are all readily available, though.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby justjack » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:39 am

Right. Try this for Esprit:

Gm D7 Gm Gm/G7 Bdim Ddim Cm7 Cm D7 Ebdim Bb Gm7 A7 A7 Eb9 D9

Gm F#dim Gm Gm/G7 Fdim Ddim Cm7 Cm D7 Ebdim Gm7 Gm A7 A7 D7 D7

Cm7 F9 Bbmaj7 Bb6 A7 A7 Eb9 D9 Cm7 F9 Bbmaj7 Bb6 Eb9 D9 Gm D7

(repeat first eight bars)
D7 F#dim Gm Gm7 A7 D7 Gm D7

One bar per chord, except the two to the bar slashed chords.
(Edit: You can find Lyola in Colin Cosimini's Gypsy Jazz Chord Book volume 2, along with a ton of other great tunes; it's worth every cent, you'll impress your pals, and it's available right here in the shop, with a CD and all. Check it out.)
justjack
Mad For It

Postby rythmes_gitanes » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:37 pm

i just recieved the cosmini books today in the mail! what great books they are. thanks for the alors..voila charts.
rythmes_gitanes

Re: tchavolo tunes

Postby Bflat » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:32 am

rythmes_gitanes wrote:does anyone have any chard from tchavolo's cd "alors..volia!". especially lyola. this cd is so amazing , any help? thanks.

This is how Tchavolo & Romane plays Alors...Voila!

\ G6/9 \ ? \ ? \ ? \ G/B \ Bbdim \ Am \ ? \
\ Am \ B7+5 \ Em \ C#dim F#7 \ B6/9 \ C#m7 F#7 \ B6/9 \ D7 \
\ G7 \ ? \ C6 \ ? \ Cm6 \ F7 \ Bm7 Bbm7 \ Am D7 \
\ G6/9 \ ? \ Eb9 \ ? \ G/B Bbdim \ Am7 D7 \ G6/9 \ Am7 D7 \

It's a great tune!
Bflat

Alors....Voila

Postby B25Gib » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:00 am

.....Bflat -
Thanks for supplying those chords - they sound right on to me playing along with the CD. Your right, its a great tune, and even though some players considerTchavolo heavy handed, I like his snappy playing, timing, and joy he brings to a tune.

.....Rocky
B25Gib

Re: Alors....Voila

Postby stublag » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:42 am

[quote="B25Gib"].....Bflat -
Thanks for supplying those chords - they sound right on to me playing along with the CD. Your right, its a great tune, and even though some players considerTchavolo heavy handed, I like his snappy playing, timing, and joy he brings to a tune.

Rocky
Tchavolo is basically a great rhythm player who plays some lead--thats why he's perfect to learn from--he's the modern gypsy style in it's 'pure' state--had a huge influence on Romane, Ninine and Angelo and countless others basd in Paris in the '70's.....
'Joy' is the key word here--the passion of Tchavolo is more important than 'clever' bebop licks---the SOUND he makes is the most important thing in this Music
If i want to listen to Bebop i listen to Tal or Jimmy Raney(with Stan Getz at Storyville)
Django is my favourite MUSICIAN of all time--but ironically sometimes you can learn more from the mere 'mortals' who use his 'basic' technique (eg Tchavolo,Moreno and Matcho for example] to express their feelings about this considerably more complicated world than Django could possibly have imagined.
Off to practice now.....
Stu
stublag

Re: Alors....Voila

Postby anlotti » Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:11 pm

stublag wrote:
Tchavolo is basically a great rhythm player who plays some lead--thats why he's perfect to learn from--he's the modern gypsy style in it's 'pure' state . . . 'Joy' is the key word here--the passion of Tchavolo is more important than 'clever' bebop licks---the SOUND he makes is the most important thing in this Music

Right on - an interesting idea. I hadn't thought of Tchavolo as a great rhythm player who takes leads, but it makes sense and is surely a compliment in an era when the emphasis seems very much the other way round.

I've been listening to Django for well over 40 years and I'm only belatedly catching up with the 'new' players, but I've not been as impressed by a modern performance as much as by Tchavolo, Mandino, Sony et al. at Esprit last year. As Stu says it's the joy and the passion and that great sound. It's the life in the music.
'You haven't brought another guitar into this house have you?'
anlotti

Postby Persen » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:19 pm

Hi there !

Sometimes I think it sounds nice if
you play a F#7 on 3 and 4 in the second bar on "alors+...Voila!",like this:

\G69 \ G69 F#7\G69 \ --\

What do you think?

Have a nice day!
Persen
Persen

Return to Tunes