Going to Samois for the first time

Welcome to the Hotclub Forum

Moderators: Caballero, Zoot

Going to Samois for the first time

Postby Bonzo01 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:40 am

Hi my family have bought me a ticket for Samois and it's my first time. Can anyone tell me do i have to book the campsite in advance or can i just turn up? any idea of the cost? anything i should be aware of? Any help would be great. Thanks
Bonzo01

Postby rimmm » Thu May 20, 2010 1:37 pm

BOOK NOWWWWWW.
Its going to be the busiest year yet.
rimmm

Postby Bonzo01 » Thu May 20, 2010 2:10 pm

rimmm wrote:BOOK NOWWWWWW.
Its going to be the busiest year yet.

Thanks rimmm who do i book with?
Bonzo01

Postby rimmm » Thu May 20, 2010 5:30 pm

The new number is (0)1 64 23 89 81 for the petit site, get a wigle on though. Showers/bar/toilets/river to swim in. You'll love it!
rimmm

Postby Bonzo01 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:53 pm

rimmm wrote:The new number is (0)1 64 23 89 81 for the petit site, get a wigle on though. Showers/bar/toilets/river to swim in. You'll love it!

Cheers I'll give em a ring
Bonzo01

Postby patrus le sommelier » Fri May 21, 2010 6:53 am

if your not going to Samois have a look here for daily update during Samois:
http://www.patrus53.com/category/samois/

and if you go when you come back have a look here:
http://www.patrus53.com/category/samois/

patrus
patrus le sommelier

Postby crookedpinky » Sat May 22, 2010 4:35 am

Hi there, here are some excerpts from emails I sent to someone else who is going to Samois for the first time - sorry it's a bit long winded and my typing is a bit dyslexic at times, but you'll get the drift.

If you're in the UK and want to have a chat email me privately with your email address and we'll arrange a chat.

Cheers, Alan

In terms of getting from Paris to Fontainebleau I believe the train service is frequent and easy to use.

I use this site to check the weather in Samois as it gets nearer the fesitval so we know what to pack, though chances are it will be sunny and hot
http://www.accuweather.com/world-index- ... SEINE|&u=1 <http>

As for Samois and the festival itself, you probably know that the music takes place on the Ile De Berceau which is a long almond shaped island in the Seine at Samois. Entry is trictly by ticket and we usually buy a mutli day pass as it saves a bit on the cost but more importantly means that you dont have to queue for tickets and potentially miss out because they do limit the numbers getting onto the island.
On the island itself you have the main stage, guitar makers exhibiting their wares, a couple of stalls selling books,CDs, plectrums etc. and the "food court" situated behind the main stage - and of course loos - Porta Loos but reasonably ok.
The food on offer ranges from Paella, Pizza, chips, burgers, ice cream, waffles, pancakes etc and the festival speciality Mergez sausages and of course beer, wine etc. and it's not to expensive either. This is where you can spot all the stars of the gypsy jazz world - sometimes after they've played or soemtimes they're just milling around. The other thing that happens on the island is people jamming with each other and most people take their guitar onto the island. This is a bit different from most concerts/gigs as I've never gone to a concert, taken my guitar and then had a jam session while the main acts were playing on the stage.

The other thing that's amazing is watching the little gypsy kids trying out guitars in the makers tents and just generally watching the gypsies.

Samois itself is quite a quiet place but there are a few highlights not to miss

1) Djangos house - right next to the river at the top end of Ile De Berceau, you can't miss it - it has a little placque on the wall
2) Chez Fernand - round the corner from Djangos house on the banks of the Seine , this was Djangos favourite restaurant and often has people jamming tehre - last year we saw Angelo De Barre and a few others jamming away as we went back to collect the car.
3) Djangos grave - the graveyard is situated at the top of the village, behind the town square - it's a beautiful graveyard and Djangos grave is at the top left corner after you enter the main gate. Django is buried there - along with his brother Joseph, his sons Babik and Lousson and his mother Laurence. Most people leave a plectrum on the tombstone, I think it's a bit of a cheesy thing to do - but I did it anyway.
4) The town square - there are a number of Cafes, a small supermarket, a bakers and a chemist I think - that's about it. I can't remember what the cafe's called but my favourite is on the opposite side of the street from the bakers, has silver tables and chairs and is the one that usually has people jamming while they have coffee.
5) The only hotel in Samois is the Hostellerie Du Country Club - http://www.hotelcountryclub.com/
This is the one of the poshest places in Samois - although Samois is quite a classy place in general anyway - but this is where I guess people like Hank Marvin actually stay. We went there for lunch last year - not that expensive acutally and it serves very nice, classic French cooking. I'd recommend it at least once - and you never know who might pop in for lunch or whatever.

The other two must dos are visits to the two campsites. Samois ahs two campsites, the official council site and the rather more quirky one at Petite Barbeau, just along from Samois.
The council site at Samoreau isn't actually in Samois but in - no suprise - Samoreau which is about a mile and a half south of Samois on the other side of the river. It's right next to the Seine and the blue lake I mentioned.
The Samoreau site is the one where the gypsies stay when they're at the festival - the Rosenbergs often stay there - last year you could have seen Angelo De Barre, Feigli Prisor etc. Also at Samoreau you'll find peopel like John Le Voi from Lincoln who is one of the UKs best known builders of gyspy guitars. John Le Voi and many who stay at Samoreau never actually go to the festival itself, preferring to spend their time on the site. Their argument is that they can hear as much msuic on the site as they would at the festical itself. I like Samoreau and always visit at least once to see who's there and what's going on etc.

The other site - whicd is where I stayed on my first visit in 2008 - is le Petite Barbeau about 20 mins walk from Samois. This is a bit more rustic but is always well attended and always has great music going on. The guys from the UK Hot Cluib stay there along with people like Thijs Van Der Harst who makes Moustache guitars in Holland - he also has a tent on the Festival island displaying his wares, you can't miss it as it's the first tent you usually see when you cross the bridge and set foot on the island AND its a Mongolian Yurt tent, unmistakeable. The otehr thing is that on the way to Barbeau you also pass a gypsy campsite and get the chance to have a look at their sparkiling white caravans.

re your questions - I think it's better to buy tickets in advance as they do sell out and it saves you having to queue on the night
As far as I know there is only one campsite open this year and that's the official one at Samoreau - when I camped I stayed at the other one - Le Petite Barbeau - but I think both are pretty safe and he'll likely be up all night listening to people playing. I stayed on my own and never felt unsafe or uncomfortable. The only is that at both the music goes on for most of the night but then that's what makes it special.

Samoreau is the official council site where the gypsies tend to stay and Le Petite Barbeau ( or Camping Tout a Vert as it's sometimes known ) is a private site, doesn't have as many gypsies staying but they visit the site and there are loads of great players. One thing to note is that the owners are very grumpy and prefer you to speak French, but it's a good site. Le Petitie Barbeau is closest to Samois - about 1km up the river and Samoreau is about 2.5 km down river.
The Crookedpinky
crookedpinky

Postby patrus le sommelier » Sun May 23, 2010 5:33 pm

long but super good read Thank you ,
I am also getting ready for Samois drinking wine!

http://www.patrus53.com/2010/05/18/samois-2010/

patrus

http://www.patrus53.com
patrus le sommelier

Postby rimmm » Tue May 25, 2010 9:58 am

'the festival speciality Mergez sausages and of course beer, wine etc. and it's not to expensive either'..Beware -two years ago I went too get the four of us sausage and chips with a fifty euro note and had to come back for another 20 bucks. The sausage in question is a right fancy one that costs a fortune, especially when you order two each. Apart from that all spot on .
rimmm

Postby neill » Fri May 28, 2010 7:01 am

hell!! that is one expensive sausage rimm!! 18 euro for two sausages.. I tend to eat the tartiflette and my wife eats the crepes - last time i was there in 2007 the bar girl must have liked me or something and she served my rose wine in a large beer glass and then kept on doing it for the whole night - i was completely 'sausaged' by the time bregovic came on and can't remember a darn thing which is a shame - my mrs told me it was fantastic..
neill

Postby rimmm » Fri May 28, 2010 10:40 am

The paella rocks-although I always get covered in Prawn juice from my hands on approach. Oh, heres a good one to remember-alcohol wipes-the Turdis's get really pungent and theres never any toilet roll.And if there is its the hard type, which , on the (w)hole is pretty unpleasant
rimmm

Postby crookedpinky » Fri May 28, 2010 11:10 am

And the pizzas are quite good too. Spot on suggestion re handwipes for the Turdis - which unlike it's almost namesake definitely seems smaller on the inside and I'm damn sure Doctor Who never had to deal with the Turdomalodoro threat....

Funnily enough I always take a pack of Baby wipes but I've never had to use them as my digestive system seems to adjust to its surroundings and it's never forced me to make a deposit in the Turdis.

Mind you if you think the Turdis is bad, I was in India in February and - toilets ? - oh my god................

PS If you're going to Gossington they too have the Turdis's - not as "fragrant" but take a small torch - it's dark in there.........
The Crookedpinky
crookedpinky

Postby rimmm » Fri May 28, 2010 1:28 pm

Last year an American chap went in to' drop the kids off at the pool' and some Gypsy rapskallion types got either side of his trap and started to shake it -resulting in much guffawing on my behalf and a large cleaning bill for said Yanks 'chinos'.
rimmm

Loos

Postby hullcityfc2002 » Fri May 28, 2010 1:54 pm

I got shaken in the loos at Samois as well... when I came out there was no-one there!! :x

Perhaps this was some Gypsy rapskallion types as well??

Luckily my chino's were intact :)
hullcityfc2002

Postby rimmm » Fri May 28, 2010 3:51 pm

'Shaken in the loos'

Fnarr fnarrr :wink:
rimmm

Next

Return to Welcome