Going to Samois 2008 ?

Welcome to the Hotclub Forum

Moderators: Caballero, Zoot

Going to Samois 2008 ?

Postby crookedpinky » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:35 am

Hi all. I am going to Samois this year for the first time. I am going alone - my other half having very wisely decided that 4 days of following me round watching other guitarists was maybe not, after all, for her.

Anyway, I dont know anyone else who is going - apart from a couple of people who I haven't met, only emailed. Originally we had intended to stay at the Formule1 hotel in Melun but on the advice of Nevil Willis ( of Harmsworth & WIllis guitars ) and as I am being left to my own devices I am now camping. Apparently that's where jams occur. So I will be in Le Petit Barbeau campsite arriving on 25th. I have a small blue and orange tent and it will have a Scottish saltire flag ( blue with a white cross ) on top or beside it. I managed to book a place there after phoning the site and only then remembering that I dont really speak French. Anyway the lady at the other end was very patient and It's booked. If you're passing say hello.

I also managed to buy my pass for the festival itself, which was tricky as I was never sure if a) the site was working or b) if I understood what I was reading. But...two days after buying the pass it arrived in the post. Yayyy.

Finally, on Saturday the 28th I intend to go to the Marches aux Puces ( Flea Market ) just north of Paris - I am hiring a car for the whole trip, this makes getting from the airport easier, allows me to go to the Marches aux Puces and if, god forbid it pisses down, I can retreat to the car.

As well as the Marches aux Puces I will be visiting La Chope Des Puces, which if you dont know is a small bar/cafe where some great Gypsy players play every weekend. Check it out on youtube.

If anyones interested in coming you'd be welcome - just bear in mind that you wouldn't get back to Samois until 7.30 - 8.00 and that you cant sue me if it all goes wrong and we end up in another country.

So that's it, have a great journey to Samois and hopefully meet some of you there.

Alan ( Crookedpinky ) :D
The Crookedpinky
crookedpinky

Postby Fordy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:54 pm

Good luck buddy, but a word of warning....take plenty of insect repellant...Le Petit B is used for sheep out of season and there are ticks!!! nasty little critters. its quite a nice site plenty of shade if its hot, but try and get a pitch away from toilets and recycling, as when you fianlly want to get some sleep...these are the noisiest places on site....Might be a wasted trip to try to find live GJ anywhere else during the festival as everyone (nearly) everyone into this stuff will be at Samois and the festival is in full swing on Saturday, mind you the line up looks forgettable for saturday....I might be wrong, but unless you have to go I would probably stay around Samois to find the action. Good luck with the trip and...
Have a great time :D
I will learn to play this thing!
Fordy

Postby BluesBopHarry » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:10 am

Don't miss Zaiti Acoustic quartet or the Ferres on Saturday!!
BluesBopHarry

Postby Zoot » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:37 pm

You should be there early to place your bets on when Cabbo will have his Samois poo, and last year there was a side bet on how many sheets he uses to clean up.

There is something about the Samois diet that can clog a man. Merguez, coffee and beer is the staple diet of the typical camper and can induce some eye watering movements on the Saturday.
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Zoot
Site Admin

Postby Caballero » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:44 pm

Zoot wrote:You should be there early to place your bets on when Cabbo will have his Samois poo, and last year there was a side bet on how many sheets he uses to clean up.

I find it vaguely unsettling to think that my bowel-movements are a starter point for gambling. Betting is an addiction which has ruined many a life, please, let's not ruin a beautiful gathering by bringing gambling into the equation.
I've just heard that Thrip will be joining us on our patch, which is good news! last year we placed bets on how many times he was thinking of music theory whilst jamming. This year, I've heard the weather's going to be shit, which means we'll be holding our shit-weather 'Campsite Transvestite Competition'. Everyone will be trying to top Zoots' winning costumes from 2005/6/7 , a hard act to follow. Beats me how he fits all those clothes in three suitcases. Sorry Teddy, photo-text entries from sad gits in England who aren't coming, aren't allowed.
Samois breakfast- 2 solpadines(w/ codeine AND caffiene), 1 stale baguette, leftover moules, a coffee and a jam. Superb! can't be beat.
COME ON!
:D
Andreas, I'll see you on the Saturday for some note-tastic fun, let's play REALLY fast this year, no wimpy ballads.
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby Teddy Dupont » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:18 pm

Caballero wrote: Sorry Teddy, photo-text entries from sad gits in England who aren't coming, aren't allowed.

Who said I wasn't coming?
Teddy Dupont

Postby Caballero » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:05 am

Your Wife.
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby Teddy Dupont » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:51 am

Caballero wrote:Your Wife.

Fair enough.
Teddy Dupont

Postby Thrip » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:46 pm

mmm....merguez