West of Scotland Hot Club

Welcome to the Hotclub Forum

Moderators: Caballero, Zoot

West of Scotland Hot Club

Postby crookedpinky » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:18 am

Hi all Weegie - or nearby - guitarists, bass players etc. My name is Alan and recently decided to focus on swing/Django style playing. Following a visit to Le Quecumbar and the lack of like minded people to jam with I thought I would explore the possibility of starting a Hot Club in or near Glasgow (Rutherglen,Burnside,East Kilbride areas - but anywhere really).
Please note an exact venue has yet to be confirmed.

The plan would be to have a group of mixed ability players who would be willing to share their expertise, for everyone to learn something between meetings and to pass on what they've learned.

So far the response has been positive to the general idea, local players, music shops, Glasgow based outfit Swing Guitars and even Dave Kelbie have all approved. Shortly the attached flyer will be placed in music shops and distributed - hopefully - at the Angelo DeBarre gig at Glasgows Royal Concert Hall on 21st November.

You can find out more from my website www.crookedpinky.co.uk - click on the Hot Club link on the main page. Please note the rest of the site needs updating. If you're interested please get in touch,
Attachments
woshcflyer.JPG
The Crookedpinky
crookedpinky

Postby Greg3900 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:40 pm

Great idea - I'm just over the water in NI but may be around and about in Glasgow from time to time.
Was interested to hear you had a crooked pinky and wondered how many other guitarists with dysfunctional fingers have been inspired by Django's achievements?

Maybe we could start a gallery of odd left hands and rank them nearest to Django's? 8)
Greg3900

Postby dan-c » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:47 pm

hi crookedpinky,

great idea i have been waiting for something
to happen in the glasgow area been jammin with
a couple of guys i live in dumbarton
will be in touch
dan-c

Postby Joi » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:25 am

Spectacular idea!

I'm a gypsy guitar player from Iceland and am currently in Edinburgh untill sometime in April. I would love to pop over and have a jam. The only problem is that I could only bring my Joe Pass Epiphone model with me to Scotland and no amp! Is there anyone perhaps in Edinburgh maybe that would be willing to jam? Also very interested in bebop and other types of jazz

Reg. Joi, a.k.a Joey ;)

P.S. Here is an Icelandic tune (by Fridrik Jonsson) which is called "Vid gengum tvo", or, in very rough, literal, translation, We walked two. Recorded at Deiglan, Akureyri, Iceland, in the summer of 2007 by Hrafnaspark.

The band.

Hrafnaspark:
Grimur Helgason - Clarinet,
Johann Gudmundsson (me) - Guitar,
Olafur Haukur Arnason - Guitar,
Petur Ingolfsson - Double bass.
Joi

edinburgh musicians

Postby gypsypunk » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:12 pm

anybody from edinburgh that would like to start something similar please get in contact as there is nothing happening i am aware of
Attachments
P1010067.JPG
anybody in edinburgh looking to play gypsy jazz i am avalable
gypsypunk

Return to Welcome